Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Australian Online Security

Australian Online Security

For all those Australian's that lurk here, 60 minutes is showing a segment on Australian Online Security (or lack thereof) tonight. I think it's on around 7pm on channel 9...check your guides! I would assume it's all the usual stuff such as our friend Sub7, keyloggers etc....

Also, there's a small article on tonights program HERE....

Banned
    Good post Conf1rm3d_K1ll... Im personally not from Australia but I am interested in anything having to do with computer security... Whats your opinion on Australia's Online Security?

Originally posted by ac1dsp3ctrum
    Whats your opinion on Australia's Online Security?

We still have a long way to go, that's for sure. It's more a case of people just being unaware of how vulnerable they are rather than lacking the ability to protect networks.

For an example- A neighbour asked me to come down and have a look at her PC. She said it was "acting funny"...She was running Win 98, totally unpatched, no firewall and with no virus protection at all. This was a box that was used to run a business! LOL....Her kids were on it constantly downloading mailbombers, nukers and all that kind of fun stuff. After a quick look around I discovered the old school trojan, NETBUS....

So there you go. It's more peoples unintentional ignorance than anything else.

Thanks for the info Conf1rm3d_K1ll, I'll be tuning into that - would be very interesting to see what they say. I also think that we have a long way to go in security here in Aus - most PC users (especially home users) don't even think about it.

Greg
    \"Do you know what people are most afraid of?
    What they don\'t understand.
    When we don\'t understand, we turn to our assumptions.\"
    -- William Forrester

well as my profile says.. i am in sydney.. and yeah.. i heard about that news.. as a matter of fact i heard about it on monday.. and i was a bit pissed off coz i was planning to e-mail 60 minutes and talk about computer security to them and how we can improve the computer security here in australia and probably the world.. but too bad some bugger beat me to it.. so yeah.. now im just waiting to see what the guy is gonna say or talk about and hope it is correct and not very missleaing.. coz the main reason why i wanted to send that e-mail and do a special with 60 mins coz there are alot and i mean A LOT of missleading information presented by the media about computer security.. and what i wanted to do is to clear things out.. but yeah.. i hope this "person" who beat me to it would explain and make things clearer now.. and i pray that this special wont make matters worse.. as it is already.

Well, just as we suspected, it was the usual piece of crap normally put forward by the media..and surprise surprise, they used a trojan! LOL It was the ever faithful NetBus....

The show started of promising but then when they started to play scences from Swordfish I lost interest...Poor job 60 minutes.....

I forgot to add that they displayed the poor victims IP number in the scan field of NetBus and they also showed AstaLavista's homepage. I don't think they actually displayed the name but anyone who visits the site would recognise it instantly....

lmao.. i can never agree with you less... bloody media.. they even barely scratched the surface.. i was very disappointed after watching it.. oh well i guess am back to ma mission.. to show the world the TRUTH.. stupid media..

I was also disappointed. I was expecting them to actually show an example of something more technical, rather then just the old NETBUS program. They then went on saying that a firewall and visus scanner isn't enough, but in their example - a firewall and virus scanner would be enough. Every virus scanner will prevent the NETBUS trojan from being installed and warn the user.

Very dissapointed,
    Greg
    -- William Forrester

I was in the 60 minutes chat room and well im sad to say that there wasnt much i can do.. our only hope now is this e-mail i am going to send to them, hopefully they would listen to us now..

I was gonna go to the chatroom, but ninemsn was down for me when I tried accessing. What was discussed in the chatroom??

Greg
    -- William Forrester