Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Telnet vulnerability

Yum.

Ah, telnet. You know, when the internet was Arpanet, this was great - total, complete, full access simply and quickly - no pesky security stuff to get in the way of anything. However, this antiquated beast still lurks around because admins won't install SSH (working with my University right now to get SSH rolled on their servers - but, no, "there's nothing wrong with telnet"), and because users won't install SSH clients (good call on putty, Focmaester! - you can also head to openssh.org , if I remember correctly, to get clients for all kinds of OS's) and won't pressure their local / upstream admins to install SSH. Of course, in a cluster you don't want SSH - it eats about 10% of your bandwidth over rlogin/rexec scripts.

<sigh> Yeah, this is fragmented ... time to make my brain contiguous again, I guess! Oh, well ... grennies are being packed off to Focmaester as I speak now.

*why* is telnet bad, evil, devil-spawn, etc?

AntiOnline Senior Member souleman's Avatar
    Pretty soon MS is going to implement its own SSH server, then claim they invented it. Make everyone dl a propritary client. Which ofcourse will be insecure, and make themselves look stupid again. But hey, whats new?
    \"Ignorance is bliss....
    but only for your enemy\"
    -- souleman

I was like when ms announced with great fanfare that Kerberos was going be a good part of the win2k ad nightmare. Or for that matter they introduced the term multitasking when win95 was rolled out. Wow. I mean, we sure are impressed bill. You've managed it again; namely, taking something that has been around for years and passed it off as your own.

It reminds me of the active directory presentation we sat through. After the obligatory refreshment break they went on to mention "how" it works. Those of us from the unix and novell background group looked at each other in amazement.
    Trappedagainbyperfectlogic.

Thats pretty crazy. I've seen people open the telnet service up.. for webservers and what not, I don't know why they wouldn't just use SSHD, I believet theres a win32 port of this server. 3DES encryption going over the internet versus plain raw text.. (afaik)

Yeah , ssh is the way to go if you want your data encrypted across the line.But Putty is the best client program because it has ssh built inside of it.But yeah definetely don't log into a regular telnet server , because anyone with a packet sniffer can pick up your passwords easily.
    "Serenity is not the absence of conflict, but the ability to cope with it."