Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: C/c++

akanicknick

C/c++

Hello Again,
    I just have a quick question on c/c++.
    What is the real difference, if any, between c/c++.
    From what I have read it seems like c++ is just c with a more otptions.
    Correct me if i am wrong, but why would you want to learn c when you can learn c++?

This was more or less an expansion of an earlier of my posts.
    to view it click here Previous Post

Banned
    Well.. To tel you the truth their is barely any difference betwwen C/C++ other then some synthax.. All the good coding websites group C and C++ together.... C++ has more features (if you want to call them that)....
    Im not 100% sure but I think that C++ is a more 'compressed' type of C.. If im wrong please correct me

akanicknick

?

Please elaborate on "compressed" ac1dsp3ctrum.

C++ uses a lot less code to get the same job done. The difference is in the libraries and in functions and syntax.
    Wine maketh merry: but money answereth all things.
    --Ecclesiastes 10:19

Banned
    i was wondering if there is a linux distro that utilizes c++ instead of c? or is compiled in c++. does anyone know

C++ is an object oriented language in which you have ..like Java objects with classes and methods it provides 'inhertitance" its makes it easy to pass "methods" around

It is very similar to Java only it can use memory "pointers"

akanicknick

¿?

okay,
    just to remind everyone I have not yet learned either one of the languages please keep replies in English okay?
    So what language should I take? c or c++?

oblio
    let's get something straight, essentially C++ is C. Most of what can be done in C++ can also be done very easily in C. Many of the oop aspects of C++ can easily be done in C. The difference however is, C++ was built around these concepts, therefore it provides clearer and easier ways of implementing object orientated methologies. C++ is also considered to be 'bloatware' because it provides many new ways of performing various methods through the use of methods within class objects. However, the older counter parts for things like io can still use the C library. As a matter of fact, every C function is available to C++ as long as you include its library. However, since C++ is a standardized language, it is generally more accepted to use C++'s libraries (although you will find yourself needing C's sooner or later). C++ can be a little daunting for a beginner to programming because of all the methologies the standards require it to encompass but the latter will prove much more rewarding that simply learning C. For the time being, it is essential in programming to be able to understand and implement oop methologies as companies and many projects are created in a modularized way. Meaning, if your program should comprise 3 tasks, those 3 tasks should be writen as 3 seperate programs independant of each other that may be able to work with other tasks or perhaps alone through encapsulation. C++ provides that boundaries to do this simply enough. As long as you can work in C++, it is fairly safe to say that you can code in C because then it is only a matter of learning libraries not languages.

As for linux distros writen in C++, such a thing cannot exist. The linux kernel was writen in C, this is the foundation of the OS. As for applications available for it, i am sure many are infact writen in C++ but the operating system itself is not.

Noble Hamlet
    Well said oblio, once again oblio proves you all wrong.

akanicknick
    thanks oblio,
    your post actually helped,
    I guess I am going to dedicate myself to C++
    Well see ya all around I will be burried in programming books for the next few days