Thread: Antipoints idea w/ posting

PHP/PostgreSQL guy

Antipoints idea w/ posting

I was just thinking...after reading yet another completely useless post by a certain irate pissed off I-have-a-lame-life-and-must-torment-others-online "newbie", I figured I'd throw this out.

What about if a newbie on here, having to climb to 100 posts to be a "member", has to have a certain number of antipoints else their account is deleted?

Meaning: user comes on, signs in, and is now an antionline n00b, but instead of posting good things, they're constantly posting useless shite and getting negative points for it. So then, when they hit 100 posts, if they have...say..more than -30 antipoints, their account is removed.

Why? Because it's completely useless to have these people around and now, with the userbase comparably on-track with antipoints and such, I see it more successful than when I first got here.

This might be laughable, but I'm just trying to think of some way to prevent dumbass postings on here that have absolutely nothing to do with security (which is ok) AND have to be directed at pissing off everyone and their brother and unfortunately, "ignoring it" isn't really an option because they just keep posting.
    We the willing, led by the unknowing, have been doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much with so little for so long that we are now qualified to do just about anything with almost nothing.

wouldnt it be better than to have the system based not on the number of posts, but the number of antipoints?

like:

new acct: 0 points

when u get to 100 points, u reset the point total to zero, and then change user stat to member?

This is a good idea I think. But at the end of the day whats to stop a person who has been kicked off Ao, signing on under another name?

not a bad idea really!!! only possible problem is the lack of limitation over people running around hitting other people with pointless negatives...

even so, it shouldnt be that big of a problem. and yes, the user can just go back and sign up again. but this is a pain, and most people will go somewhere else where it's easier to be a pain!

just my two bits
    ~THEJRC~
    I\'ll preach my pessimism right out loud to anyone that listens!
    I\'m not afraid to be alive.... I\'m afraid to be alone.

PHP/PostgreSQL guy
    In the antipoints system, as with other places, there's always problems and always problem childs running around screwing things up for everyone else. It's no different here. There could be a modified version of this idea with other ideas presented to JP (cuz he's the man upstairs doing all this) or it could just stay the way it is where we still have people posting dumbass stuff and we still have people running around posting negative points to random people for no reason. Either way, the problems don't really change.
    We the willing, led by the unknowing, have been doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much with so little for so long that we are now qualified to do just about anything with almost nothing.

It is no use this subject has been beaten to death. Although I fully agree with Vorlin on the subject.
    [shadow]l3aDmOnKeY[/shadow]