Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does fewer mirrors = fewer kiddies?

Does fewer mirrors = fewer kiddies?

in case you hadn't heard ...alldas is gone as of today...

http://www.vnunet.com/News/1129126

just wondering what everyones thoughts are...with alldas, attrition and safemode gone...are we gonna see less defacements..now that's there's fewer (or none?) places to say...hey..lookit me...see what i done...

seem to me this might be the case...i can't see any more mirrors starting up considering what they have to deal with these days...
    I used to be With IT. But then they changed what IT was. Now what I'm with isn't IT, and what's IT seems scary and weird." - Abe Simpson

I think it'll have an impact because I'm sure there are kiddies out there just lookin' to get their 15 minutes of fame. And for all intents and purposes these sites give them what they want. A place for people to go, even after their work has been fixed, to see it first hand.

So should these sites continue? No I don't think so. They certainly don't promote anything meaningful.

*puts on flame-resistant suit*
    Mankind have a great aversion to intellectual labor; but even supposing knowledge to be easily attainable, more people would be content to be ignorant than would take even a little trouble to acquire it.
    - Samuel Johnson

Unhappy

alldas gone?

Maybe they will come back as another site. Less defacements? If there is less juveniles with computers maybe. I don't see how wrecking a mom and pop website that offers a bed and breakfast service makes a kiddy a hero.

Only if newssites no longer carry the stories, perhaps it will die down.
    Trappedagainbyperfectlogic.

I think there will be less defacements, but I definitely disagree with KorpDeath about the mirrors not being useful. As much as most of you guys hate attrition, they had some great statistics that went along with their mirrors that covered what OSs were being hacked, and what countries were most vulnerable. They had defacements broken down by TLD, and showed how our government boxes are wide open to get defaced. And as much as everyone bashes the mirrors, you know as much as I do that the mirrors were the first place that all the feds would go to for evidence on the groups and crackers they were tracking down.
    An Ounce of Prevention is Worth a Pound of Cure...

I was merely speaking of the info they gave by capturing the defaced websites, etc. etc. I should've been a little more specific. It was like a museum of graffiti. Yes attrition does have some good stuff, but it still caters to the lowest bottom-feeders.
    Mankind have a great aversion to intellectual labor; but even supposing knowledge to be easily attainable, more people would be content to be ignorant than would take even a little trouble to acquire it.
    - Samuel Johnson

I agree with you there. Merely capturing the defacement and posting it is pointless. But if the mirror site generates statistics I think those are definitley useful. Especially the OS ones. Also I don't think that they had any statisitcs on vulnerabilities used, but those would also be useful to get an idea of what are the most common flaws to check your system for.
    An Ounce of Prevention is Worth a Pound of Cure...

But the alldas project continues at a different URL,

you can find it at.. www.alldas.org

So why is it bad news?

I suppose its wishful thinking to hope that the kiddies have found something useful to do with there time? Sigh....probably not....
    - Jimmy Mac

Replicants are like any technology, if there not a hazard, its not my problem....

Kiddies have this awful tendency to worm themselves into everything - I find they're kind of like cockroaches in the temperate US - The house is always clean when it's first built, but it's only a matter of time before you call the exterminator (same for ants in Canada)

SSJVegeta-Sei

Pierce me with steel, rend me with claw and fang; as I die, a legend is born for another generation to follow.
    An\' it harm none, do as ye will. - Wiccan Rede

Alldas carries on defacement mirror

There's more info about Alldas here

J.