Thread: Linux Kernel programming

Banned

Linux Kernel programming

Whats up hellions.

I was just wondering if anyone here had a full understanding of the linux kernel. as in well enough to spot bugs, fix them, or maybe even compile your own kernel. this is something i'm starting to get into because i want to know what makes the linux kernel so extraordinary and how it works. I'm still a newb when it comes to c/c++ programming, but i can read it just fine. i've only been doing it since november when i registered.

if so, can you give me an idea where to start in understanding the linux kernel. I'd really aprecciate it.

Just getting this post back to the top. Myself want to know more about the Linux kernel.

I have just come back from Linux.conf.au 2002 and there was a tutorial there on "Hacking the Linux Kernel". I can send out the tutorial notes when CD arrives if ppl are interested.
    OpenBSD - The proactively secure operating system.

I am interested, just to let you know.

oblio
    linuxnewbie.org i believe has some articles on the kernel. unfortunately it is not as simple 'learning the kernel', it is a massive amount of source code, and having the expectation of knowing it all is simply stupid. Your best bet is to take a look at components that interest you and learn those. The kernel is well documented and there are many news groups and mailing lists dedicated to the various modules.