Thread: Google Search for Sale

Banned

Google Search for Sale

Google said Monday that it is launching a new device that will allow corporations to use its search technology to scan their own networks.

The Google Search Appliance is a hardware/software combination. Google would not disclose the name of its manufacturing partner for the hardware devices, which it described only as "Intel-based hardware" running Linux.

The GB-1001, which can be mounted in a server rack, will store an index of 150,000 documents, or up to 10 gigabytes, and is priced at $20,000. The GB-8008, a freestanding device that holds 8GB 1001s, can handle "millions of documents," the company said, and starts at $250,000.

Privately held Google is well known to consumers and has begun to build its corporate business by licensing out its technology for companies' Web sites. The company signed a deal with EarthLink last month, bumping out competitor Overture Services.

"It was just a natural extension for us to take our existing search product and put it behind the firewall," said Joan Braddi, vice president of search services at Google. "We had been asked by many of (our) partners for something like that."

Google faces some of the same competition on corporate networks as it does with online search, including companies such as Ask Jeeves, Inktomi and AltaVista. It's also going up against companies including Verity that deal with intra-corporate search.

Google will support both the software and the hardware of the new devices, Braddi said.

That combo approach is new for the search market and could help Google attract attention, said David Schatsky, research director at Jupiter Media Metrix.

"It's appealing, this notion that it can be just dropped into a server rack somewhere and provide ready access to internal documents," he said. Schatsky added that the price point should also help bring in business, especially for companies that don't yet have a comprehensive document management program in place.

Schatsky did note that "there are a lot of issues (Google) will need to address in subsequent revisions, such as centralized security management for access to secured documents."

Wow... Anyone think Google will make any money off of this idea? It is an interesting idea... The full story is here

oblio
    google are a bunch of tyrants that take part in activity similar to advertising agencies using spyware. I will divulge all tomorrow when I create the webpage.

jeez oblio, what's your problem? I can't say I've every had any problems with spyware/ads from google.
    Elen alcarin ar gwath halla ná engwar.

Banned
    Its his opinion.. Leave him be... BTW oblio... Im lookin forward to that website I wanna see what info your gonna put out into the open about Google

good post ac1dsp3trum. I wonder why they priced it so high though? Must have several companies already on a list for it.
    Trappedagainbyperfectlogic.

Yea, why is it so high? Is this a normal price for network servers of this scale?
    Elen alcarin ar gwath halla ná engwar.