Thread: Email Security

Question Email Security

Is it safe to assume that if I have no "pests" or spyware on my system as defined by PestPatrol and Ontrack that no one is hacking into my email at that time? They may have tried but have been stopped, their cookie or virus has been deleted? I have Outlook Express 6.0. and run Norton Antivirus 2000. Thanks.

Re: Email Security

Originally posted by listener
    Is it safe to assume that if I have no "pests" or spyware on my system as defined by PestPatrol and Ontrack that no one is hacking into my email at that time?

Never assume that you're 100% safe. That's the first rule. Only the paranoid survive!

Originally posted by listener
    I have Outlook Express 6.0. and run Norton Antivirus 2000. Thanks.

It's beyond me why anyone in this day and age continues to use Outlook. There are so many alternatives out there and alot of them are freeware. Anyway, if you must use outlook at least make sure it's patched. As Vorlin said in a previous post- "with email, it's always guilty untill proven innocent as far as attachments are concerned" or something similar.....

Paranoia, my friend, it's free, it works better than Norton and it'll keep all those nasty worms outta your box...

No, not realy. Email (ie.. pop accounts) that you use with OutLook or Outlook Express are not secure. Reson being is that unless you have you own email server (which is still vunerable to outside attack), your email sits on public or isp mail servers that are accessed by thousands of people per day. So it's only as safe as your password or someones "hacking" abilities. The only way to have secure email is to use encryption. Such as PGP. Also there are self decrypting mail packages availible. That you send it to someone and give them a password and they can decrypt it.

Check at:
    http://www.freewarehome.com and http://www.webattack.com

Both sites have plenty of freeware and shareware encryption and email software availible.

Also use physical security. If someone can access your box at home they can get to it. Very easy with W98, 98SE, 95 and ME. They can boot to DOS and copy your .pst file and they have it.

Hope this helps.
    The COOKIE TUX lives!!!!
    Windows NT crashed,I am the Blue Screen of Death.
    No one hears your screams.

PS: As well, turn off the message preview in OutLook or OutLook Express. That is a sure way to catch a bug so to speak.
    The COOKIE TUX lives!!!!
    Windows NT crashed,I am the Blue Screen of Death.
    No one hears your screams.

akanicknick
    Two Things:
    Norton Antivirus is not the greatest,
    and
    Outlook Express is not too good for e-mail, there are "lots" of viruses out just for Outlook,

My advice would be to stop using Outlook, switch to something like Hotmail
    just click on the link and sign up for a free account.

And get a firewall, a firewall will actually stop access to your computer, and if it is good enough you will not even need to use an Anti Virus engine, (NOTE: Antivirus engines can slow down your system severly if you have options on that check files for viruses all the time) I do not currently even use any antivirus engines that are on all the time, but anyway, you can get a descent firewall that will block access to your computer and ensure that you will never get any "spyware" installed on your computer from ZoneLabs again just click on the link, scroll to the bottom of the page and select download free version.

Just a little extra analogy as well, what antivirus engines do is constantly look through your computer for some type of virus, whenever you try to do something first your antivirus engine looks at it, examines it, and then gives it to you, this even as it sounds can greatly slow down you computer, what a firewall does is build up a Brick wall around your computer that will stop anything from getting there in the first place, it will allow you to work directly with your files without interference, and it will even stop files from leaking out from you computer.

Even though the choice is yours in the end, it is an obvious one.

Oh yeah, to answer your Q . . . I personally never assume that I am totally secure because nothing ever is totally secure.

I have Outlook Express 6.0. and run Norton Antivirus 2000. Thanks.
    as long as you have Outlook Express.. u are never safe.. hehe trust me on that.

HeyListner:
    I don't think that NAV 6.0 (2000) has the script blocking feature that is found in NAV 7.0 (2001) and NAV 8.0 (2002). You might want to upgrade unless your OS limits you to NAV 2000.