Thread: What on earth is?- Hacking

What on earth is?- Hacking

3 day old interesting article. I'm curious what everybody thinks of Scott Colvey's take on hacking. My favorite lines out of this story are:

"While hacking undoubtedly requires commitment, it couldn't honestly be described as difficult. At the simplest level, it's the equivalent of wandering along a street of parked cars and trying the door of each as you pass - you're looking for the one nincompoop who forgot to lock up."

What do you think?

http://www.vnunet.com/Features/1126964
    Mankind have a great aversion to intellectual labor; but even supposing knowledge to be easily attainable, more people would be content to be ignorant than would take even a little trouble to acquire it.
    - Samuel Johnson

Uh , the link is dead.
    Trappedagainbyperfectlogic.

I beleive this reporter knows what he's talking about. He's one of the few who actually research their topic when it comes to hackers and computing and isn't bias about much of anything. I love the part when he states: "An IP address is the starting point for most hackers" (or something around there...I'm not bothered to pull the link up again ). I just find that a bit funny, yet (in most cases) true. I think thats an article that ALL newbies should read - and who are interested in learning to hack, crack, exploit, fiddle, or become a 'savior of e-commerce'. This is a definate plus on the mindframe for them. Hopefully this thread stays up top. For it would be a pitty if it didn't.

My idea on hacking is that it's still there, but in Ennis's words: "It's just sleeping". I think hacking is taking a low down on media right now, ...just because. You can't really control these things, but if enough of people come together and do some mass defacing or exploitation,...then the only thing accomplished will be one, few, or all, of the following:
    [list=1][*]Their point of view about their government will be pondered then forgotten[*]The media will be all over their heels and totally abuse the hacker(s) intention for hacking <whatever> in the first place[*]The FBI will knock at their door and arrest them without giving them their Meranda Rights and throw them in some jailcell for a few years under a new law Bush proposed.[/list=1]

In worst case scenario...all three will happen. Which is what happens usually. Which means it really sucks to be an intelligent, yet malacious, hacker/cracker right now.
    ...This Space For Rent.

-[WebCarnage]

I have watched a doco on Raphael Gray, and I suppose that you could think that the companies that he broke into could count their lucky stars that he had no real desire to truely exploit his findings.

It is also sad companies will refuse to take security seriously until some guy like Raphael breaches their network, exposes the companies security holes and it makes the headlines of the local paper.

But on the other hand, it is people like Raphael that are keeping many of the people that contribute to this forum employed, right?
    SoggyBottom.

[glowpurple]There were so many fewer questions when the stars where still just the holes to heaven - JJ[/glowpurple] [gloworange]I sure could use a vacation from this bull$hit, three ringed circus side show of freaks. - Tool. [/gloworange]

While hacking undoubtedly requires commitment, it couldn't honestly be described as difficult. At the simplest level, it's the equivalent of wandering along a street of parked cars and trying the door of each as you pass - you're looking for the one nincompoop who forgot to lock up.
    This guy has obviously never heard of linux kernel hacking .
    OpenBSD - The proactively secure operating system.