Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: hello how do i stop virus from coming in to me pc

hello how do i stop virus from coming in to me pc

i have about het it with virus so if any one can tell me how to stop it from breaking me computer it will be great thank one more think here do i get a good fire wall

I gave Viper21 a hand cleaning up after Nimda today....his Norton caught the sucker but he dosn't like the fact that he even got it.

PHP/PostgreSQL guy
    Viper21, the best way to avoid viruses is to follow these steps:

1: make sure you know who's sending what to you in email, ftp, downloading from various sites that might be unknown, etc. Don't just open anything because it looks like it's addressed to you.

2: repeat step 1 for good measure.

3: this really should be #1 but since you already have Norton, it's here. Make sure your antivirus is always on and that the definitions are up-to-date. With Norton, you might even enable auto-update so it updates for you behind the scenes ninja-stealthy like. Enable bloodhound to be on High so that it does heuristic scans on all files as well, looking for things that might resemble a virii material.

4: be paranoid. This is the one area where "guilty until proven innocent" really shines.
    We the willing, led by the unknowing, have been doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much with so little for so long that we are now qualified to do just about anything with almost nothing.

akanicknick
    Hey to get a good firewall that will block access to the internet from some of the programs on your computer, and this one works pretty good.
    goto ZoneAlarm
    Download the freeware.

Your welcome

hm.. is there any protections against trojan droppers such as godmessage? where you just load the page and it downloads the trojan and infects the viewer?
    -Jeeto

one tip.. "always look at da bloody file extensions on da attatchments" i mean of someone tells u in da e-mail its a picture.. but da file extension is .src or .exe well dat doesnt look like a picture is it?? lol a lot of people make this mistake which make e-mail worms progress..

and ermm ALWAYS and i mean ALWAYS download patches atleast twice a week.. coz Microsoft has patches ready every two weeks atleast. and always on be alert for vulnerabilities (which i always post here on AO) all the time.. i dont post them vulnerabilities just to make the website look preety.. hehe so please do read them..

and im sorry to hear about your box.. i know the nimda is very damaging.. just take my advice d00d.. always check the file extensions.. if u dont know much about file extensions learn them... www.google.com is always there to serve.. peace out.

Originally posted by s0nIc
    one tip.. "always look at da bloody file extensions on da attatchments" i mean of someone tells u in da e-mail its a picture.. but da file extension is .src or .exe well dat doesnt look like a picture is it?? lol a lot of people make this mistake which make e-mail worms progress..

and ermm ALWAYS and i mean ALWAYS download patches atleast twice a week.. coz Microsoft has patches ready every two weeks atleast. and always on be alert for vulnerabilities (which i always post here on AO) all the time.. i dont post them vulnerabilities just to make the website look preety.. hehe so please do read them..

and im sorry to hear about your box.. i know the nimda is very damaging.. just take my advice d00d.. always check the file extensions.. if u dont know much about file extensions learn them... www.google.com is always there to serve.. peace out.
    His Norton stopped it before it got that far .

also remember it is the last extension that counts! if something is sent to you like mypic.jpg.exe ignore the first extension .jpg its whats after the last . that counts ie: exe for a list of common file extensions check one of my previous posts common file extensions

Also as Vorlin said be paranoid - set your AVP to scan regularly but also scan every new file that you download - and remember new virii are comming out all the time keep your AVP up to date download updates as soon as they become available.

Also some common sense helps as well if someone is sending you a pic and its like 1meg then that is one damn big pic

HeyViper21:
    The computers that I use have Outlook Express as the mail client. When an email with attachment arrives, I go to Properties, then details, then message source & learn the file extension and the size of the file.
    Preview Panes are disabled.
    The automatic live update of Norton anti-virus is disabled. It is *my* job to ensure that all virus definitions are current.
    That is my $.02 worth.

If your looking for a good firewall, go with Zone Alrm
    Of course he relizes, this means war.

Bugs Bunny