Thread: directing ftp traffic..

directing ftp traffic..

The setup is this.
    10mb line in to a P200 running 98 and Tiny firewall with two NIC´s. Then a switch and three puter in a LAN. One of these is currently running an ftp.

How do I direct al port 21 traffic to the ftp computer?
    The problem is that I don´t know where to start looking.. is it Tiny that I need to modify?
    (another problem is that I´ll only get a couple of hours to set everything up so I don´t want to run into to many problems when I´m at it)
    Dear Santa, I liked the mp3 player I got but next christmas I want a SA-7 surface to air missile

Post NAT or PAT.

The setup is this.
    10mb line in to a P200 running 98 and Tiny firewall with two NIC´s. Then a router and three puter in a LAN. One of these is currently running an ftp.

How do I direct al port 21 traffic to the ftp computer?
    The problem is that I don´t know where to start looking.. is it Tiny that I need to modify?
    (another problem is that I´ll only get a couple of hours to set everything up so I don´t want to run into to many problems when I´m at it)
    Not too sure about Tiny (sorry), but you'll need to start by looking at NAT or PAT, depending on how detailed your proxy (the Tiny/98 box) gets about these things.
    Here's what you could do, as I see it:
    Option 1) Set up the router just to pass traffic from <any> to <any> along port 20/21, and configure the Tiny proxy box to actually do the nat (take any packet from the "outside" on port 21 and spit it out to 192.168.0.3, for example <class C private network address>) or the pat (take any packet that's coming in on port 21003 and throw it down the line, to your "inside" portion, on port 21 - and then let your router do the translation on it).
    Option 2) Depending on what kind of router you have, this may well be the best option - let your Tiny proxy box pass port 20/21 both ways (ftp-data and ftp ports), and set the *router* to do the NAT/PAT translation. If, for example, you have anything with CBOS (small Cisco appliances), you can do something like "set nat entry add <target box> 21 <incoming Tiny box IP> 21 tcp" and then do a write and you should be away and running. If you have IOS it'll be pretty similar ("en", "conf t", "set ip...." and so on).

This *should* give you adaquate information, unless Tiny is really wacky - which it shouldn't be *too* far off ... at least not for this.

Let me know how it goes - I'll check in here tomorrow (just took my exam for an online course and I'm thrashed).

Good luck

~N~

Again, I apologize for not being familiar with Tiny ... Hey! Wait a second ... why not put the router as the DMZ between the cloud and your n computers?? What kind of router is this, out of curiosity? My money's on a Linksys or some such. That'd work if you have a hub/switch ... it'd look like this, and would function LOADS better than a software solution (Tiny)... that's built upon a compromizable, buggy, software package (98):

[Cloud] <-----> [Router (eth0 = DHCP; eth1 = 192.168.0.1)] +---[PC0 192.168.0.10]
    | (Webserver)
    |-------[PC1 192.168.0.11]
    | (FTP)
    |-----------[PC2 192.168.0.12]
    (etc, etc.)

*this* would be the ideal thing.

~N~

Thanks Nietzsche, only one problem.. It´s not supposed to be a router, it´s a switch. Sorry, a bit of a hangover and a teacher that has problems with pupils acctualy trying to learn something. (ok ok, so I´m not reading the VB book but so what? hehe)
    Dear Santa, I liked the mp3 player I got but next christmas I want a SA-7 surface to air missile

Get you a good router. The Linksys BEFSR series is good. You can get it in 1, 4, 8 and I belive a 16 port now. It offers great port redirection (on limited ports) as well you can harden your ftp server and set it outside in the DMZ.
    The COOKIE TUX lives!!!!
    Windows NT crashed,I am the Blue Screen of Death.
    No one hears your screams.

Hi mom!
    A few months ago, I needed something simmilar - somewhere on the net, I found a program called PortTunnel (or something simmilar). It was kinda crappy, but it did the job for me - you install it on the gateway, and have it direct activity on ports 21 on 20 to the other, local computer. Like I said, it's kind a crappy, but it's great as a temporary solution. Don't have it anymore though, sorry.
    I wish to express my gratitude to the people of Italy. Thank you for inventing pizza.

{P²P} nah, since it´s not my homenet I wont waste a great deal of money on it (a router is three times the price for a switch dammit)
    Guus, no sweat, now I know where to start looking. And looking is half the fun (atleast when you finaly find the damn thing)
    Thanks!