Thread: Database Programming

Question Database Programming

What would be the best language to write a non-SQL database in? Delphi? C++?

or perl
    ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI.
    When in Russia, pet a PETSCII.

Get your ass over to SLAYRadio the best station for C64 Remixes !

oblio
    databases aren't writen in SQL. SQL is as the acronym so explicitly defines, a STRUCTURED QUERY LANGUAGE. It is a language to MANIPULATE the database.

you can write a database in any format you want. for example there are comma delimited databases, and then there are more advanced databases, like the palm database, *.PDB
    have a headerthat stores information on the record offsets and all sorts of crap... i cant really explain them... i jsut know how to make them and use them.
    --------------------------
    http://www.arg-irc.com

your question needs some specifics...are you trying to write a front end for a database?

A front end is any prog or script that can access the tables...and sql is the language to access the tables.

it goes goes something like this...

SELECT *
    FROM myTable
    Where Myfield = 'Userinput'

what you need to do programmatically is specify how to get that user input...how you do it depends on the kind of os, the kind of DB, what you're trying to do it for and a bunch of other stuff...

typical backends
    mySql
    Adabas
    IBM DB2
    EMPRESS
    FrontBase
    Informix
    Interbase
    Microsoft SQL server
    MIMER
    mSQL server
    Oracle
    PostgreSQL
    SOLID Server
    Sybase enterprise

Accessing the data in the table can be done from pretty much anything, vba, asp, php, , c++, coldfusion, perl, cgi, java, ODBC...and on and on...depends on the situation...and what you're trying to do...
    I used to be With IT. But then they changed what IT was. Now what I'm with isn't IT, and what's IT seems scary and weird." - Abe Simpson

If you intend to create your DB and not a frontend. I would think you would use what ever language you are comfortable with. The language it is written is less in important then how it hashes the data.

Cheers,
    -D

PS Not sure why u would want to write your own DB since it is well treaded grounds by companies such as IBM, Oracle, M$, Informix (not sure if they were bought out or went under), etc
    If you spend more on coffee than on IT security, you will be hacked. What\'s more, you deserve to be hacked.
    -- former White House cybersecurity adviser Richard Clarke