Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help!!!

Question Help!!!

hi i'm new to the whole security scene and i need to know where do i start???????

First off. Learn the OS that you will be using inside and out. Live the box, breathe the box, and be the box.

Then go here for a start:
    http://www.mapnp.org/library/infomgn...rity/basic.htm
    Very basic but will get you on the way.

You should become comfortable with the OS and be able to rip it to shreds (so to spaek) and then repair it. Set up an old box to use just for that purpose. As well, you should learn a programming language or two. It will give you an idea of what makes progys work. You have to understand the madness behind the machine before you can truly experiance the the feeling of acomplishment you get from securing a system. Then you need to learn a couple of the other OS'es involved in networking. Novell, Linux, OSX Server, NT Server, Winn2000 Server, Exchange server, just to name a few. Pick what you think you would most be interested in. Then build your own home network, harden the practice box. Then try to break into it from the other one. If you succede. Well figure out how to prevent it the next time. And so on.

Hope this helps. This is just a point in the right direction. Just a few basic sugestions. You can download tools to do most of this for you. But it's more fun to learn it for yourself and how it works.
    The COOKIE TUX lives!!!!
    Windows NT crashed,I am the Blue Screen of Death.
    No one hears your screams.

{P2P} - that was well said.

almighty_me hang around here and listen in on topics by the members. Follow up what they say. Check out the links. Test things for yourself. Be respectful of other members.

Post only when you have something Intelligent to say. We'll try to help.
    Trappedagainbyperfectlogic.

thanx people

Banned
    my suggestion, learn something like linux because it is free to download and the programs are free too, which are all open source code written in c and sometimes perl. unix is kind of pricy. get something like Mandrake or Redhat Linux to start because linux isn't the easiest thing to pick up and these are the easiest. also learn c and/or c++ to take advantage of the open source code to learn from. once you have these basic concepts down, you can get into protecting your server and seeing how hackers do what they do, from DoS to finding a bug and making an exploit to take advantage of the bug and then to patching.

hhee u can start by getting to know ur computer verywell. know it, research about it.
    Read our posts which is most of the time, educational.
    know the protocols, the terminologies, read tutorioals. basically thats it.. when u get the hang of the concepts and terminologies u can start talking 1010 1010 with other 1010 1010 people.. hahaha.

Warning: when u start to learn how to talk 1010 1010 , it gets addictive and people will start to think ur wirderd and a geek. lolz..

really excellant post {P²P}Apocalypse
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

Banned

Lightbulb

i am anticipating that you are a newbie and probably running windows. (correct me if i'm wrong). i would suggest going to the site that got me into this whole securiy thing (not in a bad way).

http://hackingtruths.box.sk/

i suggest you start out with the registry and "untold windos..." , and also read the sendmail tutorial if you havent, and try it out.

good luck

For my 2 cents I think if you try linux you should try mandrake, goto ftp.stelath.net and bounce around in the folders. THere is a mandrake mirror there find the three cd isos and get the one labled install. This server is the fastest I have ever seen
    What do you mean you don\'t have a backup disk?

haraam77

Cool Advice....

Well, this site is a great place to start. With the tutorials and discussion forums it makes it an ideal place to learn. From one fellow "newbie" to another, I can offer a little advice. Before you post a question, try your best to figure it out on your own through research, tutorials, etc. But, with the flood of information out there, sometimes it may be best to first ask for some recommended research topics so that you may be able to solve the problem on your own and at least point you in the right direction. Also, be very careful on how your word your posts. Script kiddies and those with malicious intent are looked down upon. I f you word your question/post wrong......you just may be labeled as such. Think before you post. For the most part the members here are very helpful and offer insight into a variety of topics.

Here is another good site for tutorials.... http://blacksun.box.sk/