Thread: Trillian vs. AOL's AIM, round 2 (or 3 or 4)

PHP/PostgreSQL guy

Trillian vs. AOL's AIM, round 2 (or 3 or 4)

So I was connecting to AOL today because Trillian's good programmers Scott and Kevin kick ass at fixing the repeated and failed attempts of AOL to stop people from connecting to their servers via non-AIM clients...everything went well and five minutes later, I got this:

[14:27] AOL Instant Messenger: You have been disconnected from the AOL Instant Message Service (SM) for accessing the AOL network using unauthorized software. You can download a FREE, fully featured, and authorized client, here http://www.aol.com/aim/download2.html .

Now is that funny or what? It seems they know they can't keep up and it's just a matter of time before Trillian has an update. Workaround: you can just reconnect. Yeah it's repetitive but it works.
    We the willing, led by the unknowing, have been doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much with so little for so long that we are now qualified to do just about anything with almost nothing.

Hi mom!
    Let's call it round 0.724 patch 02082002c-0631...

Yeah, I got the same message - finally, a new twist... AOL must've been getting tired by counteracting the counteraction that counteracted the counteracted counteraction...
    I wish to express my gratitude to the people of Italy. Thank you for inventing pizza.

oblio
    quit saying their names like their your good buddy or something. noone cares or are impressed if you know them. they are thieves. you are a thief.

diddent AOL release the code or whatnot that you need to build a client
    ?
    --------------------------
    http://www.arg-irc.com

I just don't understand why company's have to go messing up a good thing, Trillian is awsome. I mean aOL gives the client for free why should they care how you connect as long as your using IM for chat. There's no advertisements on IM that I know of so what are they loosing.

there are some ads on it, just not very noticible
    --------------------------
    http://www.arg-irc.com

Hi mom!
    More information on the subjects, along with an explanation of why Oblio thinks of the creators of Trillian as thieves, can be found here and here.
    I wish to express my gratitude to the people of Italy. Thank you for inventing pizza.

PHP/PostgreSQL guy
    quit saying their names like their your good buddy or something. noone cares or are impressed if you know them. they are thieves. you are a thief.
    Ok java expert, whatever you say... The reason I say Scott and Kevin is because it's on their web page in plain sight, dumbass, right here: http://www.ceruleanstudios.com/about/index.html . And when you donate, they send a personalized email signed with their name but you wouldn't know anything about that, would you? Nobody knows nor cares what you say on this site anymore.

Moral of the story, we've learned a few things:

1: oblio can't type.
    2: he'll rag on anyone for anything no matter what. oblio, I think you need to dump your girlfriend and go find E_S. Then again, she'd probably eat you alive but who knows, I could be wrong.
    3: I think he works for AOL on their java client and that's why he's pissed.
    We the willing, led by the unknowing, have been doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much with so little for so long that we are now qualified to do just about anything with almost nothing.

I connect fine with "GAIM"

under linux..

why would trellian have a prob?
    ------------EViLSEED
    Hackers are impervious. Resistant is futile.