Thread: SafeWeb's anonymous-surfing technology turns out not to be very safe after all.

SafeWeb's anonymous-surfing technology turns out not to be very safe after all.

Hi all..

I personaly never heard of safeweb.. but I read the article and laughed my eyes out..

http://www.wired.com/news/politics/0,1283,50371,00.html

Founded in April 2000, SafeWeb marketed an advertising-supported service said to allow users to browse the Web anonymously. In interviews, SafeWeb CEO Jon Chun boasted that the technology had been "through the rigors of the CIA's stringent review process, which far exceeds those of the ordinary enterprise client."
    I would never trust the CIA to keep my surfing anonymous...

They say, and SafeWeb has acknowledged, that flaws in the company's architecture allow a website to use JavaScript to obtain the concealed Internet address of the visitor. Because of SafeWeb's centralized technology, that page can also download a browser's cookies and obtain copies of subsequent Web pages visited during that session.
    ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI.
    When in Russia, pet a PETSCII.

Get your ass over to SLAYRadio the best station for C64 Remixes !

I heard safeweb was a fake. Well sorta. All they do is redirect your traffic throught one of their servers, which does not truly make you surf the net annomynously. All i've heard about it is it's crap and you have to pay.
    script language=\"M$cript\";
    function beginError(bsod) {
    return true; }
    onLoad.windows = beginError;

Shows u never to trust the cia
    hmmmmmmm forbidden donut!!

Thumbs up

I think anonymity is technically impossible.
    For every measure there is a counter-measure.
    Maybe a really bright individual may temporarily
    find a way to slip between the cracks, but any attempt
    to market "anonymous browsing" to the general
    user deserves to be laughed off the market.
    I came in to the world with nothing. I still have most of it.

anon online? haha

i totally agree, to surf anon is practically impossible. you can onion route and go though proxies like there is no tommorrow, but you still are rulled by that one rule of simple tcp/ip communication. you have to have a legitimate ip to get your information. i personally would think if you wanted to be anon why pay a company to do it for you ....that is not exactly anon now is it?
    all problems, no matter how big, when you boil them down, endup being a microsoft issue

Originally posted by morfius
    . All they do is redirect your traffic throught one of their servers, which does not truly make you surf the net annomynously.

That's true. If you want better anonymity I'd suggest proxomitron.

I use to use SafeWeb all the time, not as a full on security and anonymous browsing tool though. But it did make it a little harder for you to be traced back.

Originally posted by morfius
    All i've heard about it is it's crap and you have to pay.

That's not true. It wasn't all that crap and you never had to pay. It's only recently become something you have to pay for.

There's a similar page to safeweb named SiegeSurfer. I haven't had much to do with this one but I assume it operates the same way as safeweb. Only difference is that it's still free...