Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 600 protestors arrested in DC

600 protestors arrested in DC

(AP) - Demonstrators chained themselves together, bicycled through downtown streets and rallied at downtown parks Friday as finance ministers began a weekend of meetings. About 600 protesters were arrested and one was slightly injured. The protesters had threatened to shut down the nation's capital, but caused only minimal disruptions to the morning rush as they snaked through the city on foot and on bicycles, waving signs that said "End Corporate Greed" and "Drop Bush not bombs.
    Source

Anyone here from the DC area or know anyone who was there?
    \"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why the poor have no food, they call me a communist.\" -- Dom Helder Camara

I read the article: What Idiots (sorry to all you save-the tree's poeple out there) but whats the point. I can't belive they accually think that the structure and ideas that their protesting against will change. Also what's with:

"We've called for peaceful, dignified, nonviolent, creative actions," Reinsborough said.

Then you read:

"About 65 people were charged with rioting after they broke windows at a Citibank office and tossed smoke bombs in Washington's business district. Those demonstrators will have to appear in court."

---

I also found the part about the "Gaptivists" to be rather funny. But, if they were against Gap, why do they wear it. Hmmm......

--thats all i have to say:

FATALbreed

I believe everyone has a right to protest if the need arises,but why get stupid about it and start breaking stuff and get yourself arrested.Does that really solve any problems?There aren't any trees to hug in jail.At least out of their four requirements of peaceful,dignified,nonviolent,and creative they met one.The smoke bombs were definately a creative touch.The window breaking is a little overdone though,and becoming a little lame.If any of them had half a brain,they'd realize that all that money they'll be spending on bail and fines could have been donated to a save the whales foundation or whatever else floats their boat.
    [shadow]I don\'t believe in anarchy.If you\'re not smart enough to beat the system it\'s your problem. [/shadow]

I personally believe that one of the fundamentals of American society is the right of people to speak. These people had something to say and they said it.

To that end, one thing that people don't realize is that nobody has to listen, no matter how important one thinks their cause! Another fundamental of American society. As soon as they realize this then all will be in perspective...and we'll all be on the same page.

Just my two cents...

2nd edit, 2 dammed tired

you all make sense so ill put my worthless 2 cents in as well.

Sometimes its necessary to go the limit any maybe be arrested to get heard. this can be accomplished with out violence, mayhem and being a general pain in the ass to people who might have listened to what they had to say if they remained civil. as soon as they started getting out of hand the ruined any credibility they might have had.

seemed like a pretty useless affair. stop corp greed, drop bush not bombs. i mean why stop there. curb your dog, don't speed my mommy works here, don't drink and drive, stop stupid slogans, free ted kazinsky. if your gonna diversify...diversify. Or maybe their blaming all this on bush and i missed it.
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

Well I agree with you all that they lost credibility when the got out of hand, I must say on the plus side, thus far the polices officers have seemed to handle this event better then those in Seatle. Hopefully the protest won't get very violent the rest of the weekend.
    But thats just my opinion.
    what is love but contempt for hate?

Protester sign "End Corporate Greed"
    Aren’t corporations are greedy by definition?

It’s kind of hard to emphasize with people who burrow their parent’s suv so they can drive to the latest protest. I say if you have something you think is worth protesting to go for it but just don’t act surprised when no one listens.
    Its not software piracy. I’m just making multiple off site backups.

Well despite yesterdays eventful protest todays (saturday) started and ended peacefully, to bad they already lost their chance for respect yesterday when they broke the window and threw gas.
    what is love but contempt for hate?

Nothing wrong with protesting anything, but they lose all credibility when they begin destroying property and causing the other disruptions. I think they'd be more apt to be listened to if they dressed a bit more fashionable than leftover late '60's attire and got haircuts, along with being civil. I can't argue with the message, only the way they try to deliver it.

from the sound of it, none of you have actually ever been involved with activism. let me inform you of something. The governments of the "free world" for sometime now have been having closed door meetings concerning the persuit of issues that the majority of their constituents seem to be opposed. Having said that, ever since the wonderful Reagan era, protests concerning globalization, free trade, human rights and the environment have had such intimidating police presences that one cannot help but think that a move to criminalize protests has been initiated. Many cities, despite the "fundamental right" to protest, require protest organizers to obtain a permit to assemble where in case of a march, must inform the police of their route. Many cities also create protest friendly zones requiring the protest to run its course under certain confides. This is not FREEDOM TO ASSEMBLE, this is government controlled freedom of speech. There is definitely a problem when the government and police control who and where someone can protest against them. Next the mainstream media more than ALWAYS ignores the protests that are against their issues, and the ones they don't ignore, they offer very small reports where the issues usually aren't discussed at all. Having discussed all this, when you mix this form of repression with legitimately outraged and concerned activists who want nothing more than their voices heard - a problem arises. When you are trying to tell people how things really are and excersize your right and police in military gear with heavy weapons are surrounding you, should you just shutup? The people adopting violence as a tactic are doing so in an attempt to take back the streets from a new much more militarized police, they are trying to get the mainstream media to listen to their anger and to the issues (which the media usually does following urban guerilla tactics and violent protests) It is easy for you to say that things can be accomplished without adopting violence, but things are NOT changing. The US government is rejecting the kyoto accord for reasons of PROFIT. Free trade and globalization are being pushed FORWARD without even letting any non-government input into the treaties, not just that, without even letting the public know what is involved with these treaties. The world bank is forcing third world nations to privatize their water systems in exchange for desperately needed loans in order to feed their populations -> what does this mean, less access to water for those that can barely even afford to eat. You people should be very thankful that activists are willing to go to JAIL, to get BEATEN, to breath in CHEMICAL WEAPONS and in some cases even DIE for you people.