Thread: A new forum for hardware?

A new forum for hardware?

Seeing there is a new section on the forums list for general technology I thought a good addition might be a place for hardware chat, I have noticed there a posts floating around about hardware matter problems and such like I though would be good to give them a home that way boards that are for security stay clear of hardware related topic. Also at the end of the day hardware is the start of everything seeing this site is growing more and more, and encompassing topics that are not security related perhaps this addition might be useful.

Anyway just a thought perhaps you hate the idea perhaps not would like to hear what you all think and perhaps if there is a lot of positive response then JP might consider adding one, I know at the end of the day he has the only say that counts.

Kindred69
    ForeverLearning

Kindred69 - been thinking about this for a while. It's a good idea but how to organize it?

There is so many different hw types and vendors some thought should go into the forum organization. Let's see how this is received - why don't you post a poll?
    Trappedagainbyperfectlogic.

Sounds like a good idea to me - some of us fiddle around with the guts of PCs/servers at home and/or at work amongst doing other things. Not quite sure about the question as to how to organise it. I think even one general forum would be nice, as it would seperate out hardware questions from the more specific questions related to software security.

i have a good idea.
    we can start with a single forum ... just for hardware ... a general forum for all the hardware and all vendors...
    and when it got hot ... and all are getting used of this forum ... then we can see what are the most technologies that we are talking about,
    then we can do many forums under the hardware section...
    but i don't think that we'll be able to do it by vendors.... this wont be fair for others.

i mean after all ... i'd love to have one for HP .. that would make my marketing job easy .. just to promote our new products here

what do u thing guys ....

hardware is a very goooood idea ... i love it.
    When the power of Love overcomes the Love of power, the world will know peace... Jimi Hendrix
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    I dream of giving birth to a child who will ask...... what was war?

Thank you to all those you have responded so far you time is appreciated I think Bimmer has a good idea make it general first of all and if it get hot then perhaps diversify it, this I think would be the best way to start because at the end of the day this is not a site for hardware an in so don’t want to see it becoming too much of an aspect of it, having said this hardware is an aspect of computing where would any of us be without it? So a general forum under the web development might give a place for this subject matter and keep it in one place. Its and idea i like that its going down well hopefully JP will consider it.

Kindred69
    ForeverLearning

I think it is a good idea. When you decide what you are going to do could you please tell me.

Thank you

Good suggestion...I'd love to see a hardware forum, and a tech support forum, maybe even a flaming forum were you can just let loose without fear of the dreaded -point.......BUT.......we keep forgeting that this site is based on security.....

There are alot of other sites (nowhere nears as good as AO, though!) that do offer all of the above mentioned forums. What I'd suggest is using them when you have a hardware or tech support question. I'm not going to give out address' as I feel it's a little like SPAM to advertise another site on AO's forums....Mr Google will help you out though..

I know there are many out there, I have seen of late the site growing coving a larger range of topics hardware has come up a bit was thinking a dedicated general hardware forum might be useful will stop forums such as general chit chat and newbie question getting overloaded with hardware questions, and I think we all have at least a basic understanding of hardware (some a lot greater than basic) to make this work. I don’t want to see hardware take over in any way just saying a place for it would be good.

Kindred69
    ForeverLearning

You know, instead of all these forum requests... why don't you guys find some older member to ask JP for a private forum on it? What *I'm* afraid of happening is forums being created for short times of interest, then degenerating into tumbleweed-filled wastelands.
    [HvC]Terr: L33T Technical Proficiency

as long as people put appropriate subjects on there posts we can just have a general hardware forum. that way it wouldn't be overly dominate, but many of us do many things with hardware (overclocking, multiboard systems). that way we can discuss our problems and such
    Learn like you are going to live forever, live like you are going to die tomorrow.

Propoganda