Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: school networking

Banned

school networking

I have a dilemma. I am in a school with 42 students where most of them have computers and I was wondering the best way to hook up with my friends so I can get moderately fast file sharing. Any suggestions?

AntiOnline Jr. Member
    what kind of network does your school have this info would be helpfull

Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far. - Theodore Roosevelt

Banned
    It would just be computer to computer sharing not connected to the school network.

If it's an MS network then this is a nice tool that works on intranets. File sharing and chat both are handled by this app.

http://www.fortunecity.com/skyscrape...end/index.html
    The COOKIE TUX lives!!!!
    Windows NT crashed,I am the Blue Screen of Death.
    No one hears your screams.

Banned
    thanks.

Originally posted here by CyberSpyder
    It would just be computer to computer sharing not connected to the school network.
    If it's on the computers at school. Then unless you direct connect them to each other or arange a few of them in a peer network. They have to go through the school network to comunicate with each other. If you use the program I menttioned or another LAN file sharing progy. It talks computer to computer through the network. But nothing needs to be installed on the networks server. Just make sure you have permission to install this software first. Several people have been criminaly charged for putting unauthorized software on school networks. Remember, it belongs to them. As well on some school networks you mave not have the access rights to install software. Hope this helps.
    The COOKIE TUX lives!!!!

networking is fun and one way to communicate with one another. but if you intend to share information from one of your classmate the best way is use modem connection. we usually, (friends and i) connects through the modem if there is little information that we use to share.
    \"The more you ignore me... the closer i get!\"

Banned

hub

I was thinking of connecting through networking cables and a hub, though a modem might work.

Thumbs up Re: hub

Originally posted here by CyberSpyder
    I was thinking of connecting through networking cables and a hub, though a modem might work.
    Ok. I see what you want to do. Use the progy I linked you to. Then, instead of a hub. Go and get you a managed switch. Not much more as far as $. But a whole lot less to configuration involved.
    The COOKIE TUX lives!!!!