Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: blackholes

Banned

blackholes

do you people think that we will ever be able to create an engine powerful enough to counteract the force of a black hole so we might actually be able to go in and out as we please?

In short, no.

Remember, a black hole isn't truly a hole. It's a bunch of matter with so much gravitational attraction that it actually collapses in upon itself, creating an object of small size, but lots of gravity. There is nothing to go into except a massive crash. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that in a black hole, the atomic structure of all matter collapses into a big jumble of random particles. The only reason it's called a hole is because you can't see it, reason being that it doesn't reflect light for obvious reasons.

There's really not a lot to explore.

Hmm... for those who have read Ender's Game... I wonder what would happen if we used an Dr. Device on a black hole?

(It's a play on acronyms. Dr. Device -> M.D. Device -> Molecular Disruption Device)

In the book, it's defined as a zone where two lasers meet in just the right way to change the atomic forces such that electrons can't be shared, causing the molecule to fly apart, effecting a chain reaction...

Assuming it is possible to do that, would the graviational effect of a black hole affect the beam? And would super-dense matter even react? Neutronium doesn't even HAVE electrons in it...

What if you swung another hypermassive mass around it at high speed? Could you "stretch" a pinpoint of collapsed space?

A black hole radiated energy due to the way it absorbs portions of spontaneously-produced particle-antiparticle pairs near the event horizon, resulting in X-ray emissions... So energy goes out, and mass goes in...

In a way, a black hole is a one-way total conversion machine. And you can starve them of matter, causing them to eventually shrink as they give off quanta... although I could be wrong.
    [HvC]Terr: L33T Technical Proficiency

AntiOnline Jr. Member
    accually a black hole in the sense think of space as a blanket, suspended in the air
    now u place objects on that blanket lets say a marble now there would be a dent in the blanket where the marble sits ok
    now if u were to place another object such as lets say a golf ball
    now the golf ball weighs more than the marble so it would depress the blanket further than the marble now with that in mind envision a blanket, a big one in your living room to say cause having it out side would freak people out, suspended in the air with nothing holding it up basicly floating. now if you were to move the golf ball or the marble closer to each other
    they would run into each other where the dents they make in the blanket overlap, basicly in a sense attract. think of them as planets
    now if u were to take a shot put ball and put it on the blanket its heavey enough to pull the blanket yet not enough to rip it, and leave a big impression big enough that unless the golf ball and marble were far enough away they wouldnt run into it. think of the stot put as the black hole. this model i have created is to give u an idea of the concept.
    now whith this in mind a black hole has enough of a gravitational pull not even light can escape so one would be skeptic of us ever obtaining the means to escape
    knowing that light travels approx 186,000 miles per second.
    also to help the marbleis more easily moved than lets say the golf ball and the shot putt
    so the shot put is pretty much gonna stay where it lays so the golf ball has a lttle more mass than themarble so the marble is more likely the one to move more so than the golf ball the shot putt will most difinatly not move from its position. basicly the more mass u have the mor inclined you are to your position unless acted apon by an eaquall or greater force or depression in this case. as far as people know light is the fastest ting known to man, but if your into quantum physics or mechanics they believe that a force not understood is capable of
    speeds many times faster than light. basicly its the charge that an atom has, has an opposite
    like a twin but there opposite. so think of it like this you have 2 atoms that attract each other
    if u change the charge of course 1 atom has a more positive charge and the other has a more negitive charge. if u were to change the charge of 1 the other similtaniously will respond with the opposite.
    now they say that u can have these atoms in lets say different galaxys.
    say it would take light 1000 years to travel the distance
    but if u change the charge in the atom the other would respond intantaniously
    no lag time meanwhile light would take its sweet time of 1000 years to get there.
    so we are aware of this force if u will but are not even close to understanding it
    also ther is dark matter in space but i wont even go there.

heres some food for thought you know when u turn ur tv on and change it to a station u cant recieve there that snow
    well they say thats noise left over from the big bang!

CyberSpyder, if you can design a faster than light engine, then it might be possible. Light is the fastest thing that we've observed is unable to escape the gravitational pull of a black hole.

I'd recommend reading up on them at the following sites:
    http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/htmltest...h_pub_faq.html
    http://www.public.iastate.edu/~physi...elativity.html
    http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/physic...el_topics.html
    Chris Shepherd
    The Nelson-Shepherd cutoff: The point at which you realise someone is an idiot while trying to help them.
    \"Well as far as the spelling, I speak fluently both your native languages. Do you even can try spell mine ?\" -- Failed Insult
    Is your whole family retarded, or did they just catch it from you?

I doubt it. If you got stuck in one, you would see yourself coming in each time you passed around because you are going so fast it you travel backwards in time by a few seconds. However, there has been talk of wormholes that could transport someone across the universe. The problem is holding one open.

AntiOnline Jr. Member
    you are all wrong stop gettin your info from star trek

Actually, the theory is that you go FORWARD in time. It's based on Einstein's theory of relativity, which as has been said before in the general chit chat forum, is being seriously questioned right now. The wormhole theory is the same way. I doubt either are possible.

stflook, have you got a link to that? I mean, we're all headed forward in time right now regardless of whether or not we like it...
    Chris Shepherd
    The Nelson-Shepherd cutoff: The point at which you realise someone is an idiot while trying to help them.
    \"Well as far as the spelling, I speak fluently both your native languages. Do you even can try spell mine ?\" -- Failed Insult
    Is your whole family retarded, or did they just catch it from you?

You know what I meant.

Anyway, the theory of relativity allows for such things as time travel, and rips in the space-time continuum. That's where that time travel theory came about. The artilce about the rival to the theory of relativity was in the general chit chat section a while ago. I'm too lazy to get the link for you.