Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: best o/s for programming?

Question best o/s for programming?

hi,
    can anyone reccomend a good o/s for programming, im getting a second box so i can run a linux and a windoze box.
    im using windoze 95 (yes that isnt a typo) at the moment and the box im gettin will be a p3 (550 or 600, around that, 256 meg ram etc), should i stick with win '95 (it has usb support) or switch to something different for programming??
    ie NT ME, 98 etc?

what im looking for is stability and speed, i know you'll say linux but imgonna have a linux box already.

any help would be great

Well, as you said, the obvious answer is Linux. It's better than Windows for both stability and speed. It's also open-source, so if you want to learn C, you can actually change the OS.

If you don't want to do Linux, you can try either FreeBSD or OpenBSD. They're both open-source, and supposedly they're comparable to Linux in almost every way, but I can't confirm that for you, as I have never tried them.

FreeBSD will be the best choice for programming. For speed, it's the the fastest operating system you could use on that computer. For stability, it's equally comparable to OpenBSD.

However if you want to use a Windows operating system for programming, you should get either 98SE or 2000Pro.

That depends what you're gonna program. If your programming apps for the desktop, go for windows. If you're doing server-side programming, go for Unix or Linux.
    ---
    proactive

Linux for a first choice. Win2000 Pro for a second choice.

Best of all. Setup a dual boot system with Win2000 Pro and Linux.

The COOKIE TUX lives!!!!
    Windows NT crashed,I am the Blue Screen of Death.
    No one hears your screams.

Dual-boot and program on both win and *nix, its good to be able to program on different platforms

Krang
    .....Brain Failure....dumping core.... z z z

Originally posted here by krang
    Dual-boot and program on both win and *nix, its good to be able to program on different platforms

Krang
    Very true. I have four computers on my home network but each has it's own use. Most of my clients though use MS products so I have to use a MS enviroment for them and their projects (ie...access databases, excel spreadsheets and so on). Myself I like using my Tux (Mandrake 8.1) boot box for my own work, security work, c++, html and other goodies. I have a seperate stand alone Tux box. But it is so much easier just to work at one station without running back and forth. I even about have my roomate talked into going to Tux. So this is an excellent setup for someone that wants to learn Linux and programming. They can work with it until they're comfortable and still have the familier Windows availible.
    The COOKIE TUX lives!!!!
    Windows NT crashed,I am the Blue Screen of Death.
    No one hears your screams.

I am a cracker
    Hi can anyone reccomend a good o/s for programming, im getting a second box so i can run a linux and a windoze box. im using windoze 95 (yes that isnt a typo) at the moment and the box im gettin will be a p3 (550 or 600, around that, 256 meg ram etc), should i stick with win '95 (it has usb support) or switch to something different for programming??
    ie NT ME, 98 etc?
    Yes get Linux Red Hat 7.2 for programming. Don't get a MAC O.S!

Dualboot Win2000 Pro and RedHat 7.2 or the latest SuSE version. Don't use Mandrake for programming, it doesn't install compilers etc. by default, unless you choose Development instead of Normal, from the installer.
    One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them.
    One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them.
    (The Lord Of The Rings)
    http://www.bytekill.net

Originally posted here by I am a cracker

Don't get a MAC O.S!
    Would you mind explaining to us why you don´t recommend a Mac OS?
    What´s wrong with a Mac? you people should try Apple´s computers first before judging.