Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: windows startup question...

windows startup question...

is there a way to display the information from c:\bootlog.txt as windows is being loaded...I would like to see the stuff being started up...sorta like what Linux does...can anyone help?

I vaguely remeber an option in the bios that allowed you to set what you see during boot up. I doubt that there's an option to see the boot process (similar to Linux) though....It might be worth playing around with......

Sorry I'm not more help but I had a few drinks last night and the old brain still hasn't kicked in....

Banned
    Yeah, press F5 (or F8 depending on your Windows version) during start up and choose, logged (bootlog.txt). It will put bootlog.txt in your C: directory, alternetavley if you want to see what starting up go to step-by-step confirmation... It will show you everything that starts up during WinLoad.

i know...

thank you...but I know of all that...pretty basic knowledge...what I'd like to do is be able to see all the stuff load without going through it step by step...for example I'd like to see all the vxd's load and other junk...there has to be a way to pull it off...maybe a batch file or an autoexec addition??? someone here must know of a way...im gonna go home now and experiment until tomorrow...see ya...

AO French Antique News Whore
    To see all the vxd, you have to check the win.ini file on Windows 9x if my memory is fine. Also, the system.ini file is important on boot up!
    -Simon \"SDK\"

Banned
    I think i saw a batch file for that... Ill try to find it for you

hey if you want see the all vxd stuff on ur pc then, just go to windows start menu, then select run. in that type regedit and enter into windows registry. then on the left side of explorer, select - HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, Then select - SYSTEM, then - CurrentControlSet, then - Services and in Services, choose VxD. this is what u want.
    if a person wants to learn.... he can learn anything..... just anything....!!!!!!

AntiOnline Senior Member souleman's Avatar
    Well, I don't think anyone quite understood the question. What he wants is to redirect the output of bootlog.txt to the screen, during bootup. Much like Linux shows exactly what it is doing during bootup.
    I don't remember the way to do it anymore, but I know it is possible. Kinda like not putting the @echo off statement in an autoexe.bat file. I will see if I can remember where it is at. I did it once before to see where a system was hanging on bootup, but would not run into problems if I did a step by step bootup.
    \"Ignorance is bliss....
    but only for your enemy\"
    -- souleman

never mind

i think this one flew over too many heads...although I'm sure a few know what I'm talking about...anyways...to better clarify...

I do not like how Winders machines put a splash screen and attempt to hide the true startup phase...I would like to see "the man behind the curtain" if you will If any of ya have seen a Linux machine boot...you will come across strange messages...strange if you're not used to them as Winders people seem to be...I, on the other hand, want to see the startup junk happenin'...in case anything goes wrong...I can see it happen first hand instead of just reading about it in the bootlog file...I don't want to sound rude or anything...but my question was clear...How do you see the stuff load on startup? I did not ask how to see all the vxd files...I can look for them later...and I was just using them as an example anyways...If I can just find a way to do this...Windows would just be that more bearable...also...I have something else I would like to do with Winders...must be a way to do this one as well...I want to change my Winlogon banner to say something different for everyday of the week...something like "Hello...the date is so and so"...but not have to go through and change it everyday manually...is there a way that a batch file could be made to check the system date....write a regedit entry...and place it into the registry? I would like to attempt to do this on my home computer for the hell of it...I made a batch file that will attempt to write to the registry but the dialog box comes up asking "Are you sure?"...well...yes I am sure...and it doesn't write the entry...I have to do that myself...so any help would be appreciated...also...thanks goes out to ac1d...
    http://www.lltc.org/student/solid_morph
    if ya go there...i did put a link to those batch files(com files really)...thanks...and I have some poetry if anyone is interested...they need more work so please be patient...thanks for any help...sorry if I was rude at all...just early in the morning...that's my excuse...what was Bill Gate's???

firedevil

did you notice we have the same avatar???
    Im not crazy...yet