Thread: Scanning for SNMP vulnerabilities

Cool Scanning for SNMP vulnerabilities

SANS has released a scanning tool called SNMPing which will find SNMP daemons running on a TCP/IP network. It defaults to port 161, but you can enter the port of your choice.

The good news is that it's small and effective. The bad news is that it only runs on WinNT/2K.

You can use TCP dump to log your attempts. You'll find that some devices can be protected with hard-to-guess community names, and that others can't, so get the straight dope on all your devices.

In order to send bulletins about upgrades and bugs to users of the tool, SANS prefers that you e-mail them(snmptool@sans.org) to get it. It's automated and takes only a minute to get a reply. We'll just go ahead and not mirror the file, since that actually makes good sense.

yeap that snmp tool is really efficient.
    we are still using it to check all the netowrks that we installed in the past months and so far it's ugly...
    assembly.... digital dna ?

why is it ugly?

'cause they all had to be upgraded ... and just in one comp there are 65 sites .... that is ugly!!!

eeeeehhh haha damn i'd have a head ache if i had that job.. atleast its not like the last project i had where i had to build an Extranet Infrustrstructure for a company.. aahh! dat was a head ache! day and night infront of my box and laptop not stop on da fone and video conference.. uuh!! i even only get to shower once a week... yuucckk!

nope actually the worst i had to do/still solve is to tell a client his dialup isdn with pstn backup is worth ****... but he still wants it.... i'm at my 12th ios versions and i'm not sure if that one is good enough... but i still haven't figured out how to get that working anyways ....
    i've litteraly begged the company to either reject/improve/subcontract that market and they said no!
    i've oppened a tac 3 weeks ago and they are still working on it, either that junka dude is not that knowlegdeable or he is more lazzy that i am....

I've been SNMP walking my school network for kicks... their security is pitiful!

SSJVegeta-Sei

Pierce me with steel, rend me with claw and fang; as I die, a legend is born for another generation to follow.
    An\' it harm none, do as ye will. - Wiccan Rede