Thread: Linux, Just got it :)

Linux, Just got it :)

Hi everyone,
    I would just like to quickly say that this is my first post, and I am going to see if I want to stay with antionline, based on this post.
    But anyway, I just got RedHat7.2, and I put on both Gnome, and KDE. I know linux is a lot better then m$ but I just want to know what do I do now? I know windoze back and forth, but linux looks nothing like it, so. . . what do I do now, is there some kind of beginner's guide that is very simple out there? or is there some text on what I am supposed to do inside of linux itself.
    One more thing, I am having trouble even configuring the Internet on it, I dual partitioned the hard drive and kept windoze on it for now, and that is where I got on the internet through.
    So any advice will be greatly appreciated.
    \"To follow the path:
    look to the master,
    follow the master,
    walk with the master,
    see through the master,
    become the master.\"
    -Unknown

Come on, somebody out there help me out here.
    \"To follow the path:
    look to the master,
    follow the master,
    walk with the master,
    see through the master,
    become the master.\"
    -Unknown

Check out LinuxNewbie. There isn't really a quick answer to your question.

Connecting to the 'net is pretty simple. I'd suggest using KDE untill you become a little accustomed to using Linux. You just use KPPP to conect. I suppose it's Linux version of Dial Up.

Anyway, welcome to Linux and good luck...

Antionline Herpetologist
    Hi 3ntropy,
    Glad to see you got Linux. The first thing you want to do is go out and get a book like:
    1) Red Hat Linux 7.2 Bible Unlimited Edition
    2) Red Hat Linux Unleashed

Now, about your internet problem. Does your computer boot into a graphical login screen or does it just say "localhost login:". If it boots into a graphical login screen, change the session type to KDE then login and skip the next paragraph.
    If it boots into text mode, then heres what you do. Login, and then type "startx". If KDE comes on, then that's ok. If GNOME comes on, press Ctrl+Alt+Backspace to get out of GNOME. Then type logout and login as root. Then type pico "/etc/desktop" and change whatever is in the quotes to "KDE2", press Ctrl+X then y and Enter. Type startx again to get into KDE.
    The next thing you want to do, is click on the K menu->Run and type kppp and Enter. Then, click on the setup button. First go to the device tab. Change /dev/modem to the com port that your modem is on (ttsy0=COM1, ttsy1=COM2 and so on). Then go to the modem tab and configure your modem. If it's a winmodem then go to http://linmodems.org. After coniguring your modem, go to the Accounts tab and set up one in much the same way as Windows. Then, use kppp to dial and use konqueror as your browser.
    That's all for now, please feel free to post any additional questions here.
    Cheers,
    cgkanchi