Thread: Windows 2000

Question Windows 2000

Hi,

How can I remove outlook express, imaging and netmeeting from my computer?

I m using Windows 2000. I did go to Add/Remove program but very much different from Windows ME and Win9x.

TechieChick
    M$ hates it when you remove their proprietory stuff.

Removing Outlook

I found how to disable Netmeeting, imaging etc, but not uninstall them.
    I included links as that site looks like it might be really helpful to you since you're new to Win2k.

Good luck!

TC

For Outlook express:
    Go to windowsupdate.com and click on the "installed updates" It should show you IE is installed and allow you to uninstall it.

As for the two others; they are built in to windows so you'll have to "manually uninstall them. I wouldn't recommend it. Just edit the explorer preferences to open the program of your choice. You do that by opening explorer and going to Tools/folder options/file types/ and changing the program you use to open the file extension.
    Mankind have a great aversion to intellectual labor; but even supposing knowledge to be easily attainable, more people would be content to be ignorant than would take even a little trouble to acquire it.
    - Samuel Johnson

i am unsure about outlook exprees, but i am sure the option is in tere somewhere. as for everything else, go to start, run then type in gpedit.msc
    this will bring up the group policy editor program similar to poledit in windows 9x. from here you can edit and use templates about what services and programs you want available on the systems. have fun.

You can find the answer about how to remove programs in Negative's nice tutorial WinXP: secure it, tweak it..., dont let the name of the tutorial fool you its working on win2000 aswell .

it's been my uderstanding you can't (or at the very least shouldn't)...OE is part of the w2k Protected System files...for an example...just delete a file in the OE dir...then look at your event viewer...you will see windows "restoring critical system files"..or some other such nonsense..

afaik you can't add/remove OE...it's "integrated" with the IE5+ installation...i think the procedure that techiechik linked to from ms was meant to be for a manual uninstall and then REinstall...(correct me if that's not right..)...

you can prevent anyone but an admin from using outlook...just set folder permissions to admin only...(this is what i do to all our boxes...) and if you want you can even remove the system permission from the folder...then you can delete the contents without them being replaced by win ...not sure if id' recommend it tho...
    I used to be With IT. But then they changed what IT was. Now what I'm with isn't IT, and what's IT seems scary and weird." - Abe Simpson

TechieChick
    Zigar, I do believe you're right. MS Knowledge Base (now there's an oxymoron for ya) is currently unavailable when I went back to read the article closer. My mistake.

Somewhere, I know I've seen it there is a program called windows lite or something...wracking my brain to find it and I know it uninstalls all the excess garbage that you don't want or use on a standard install. If I have an ephiphany and am able to find it (if it even still exists) I'll post it.

TechieChick, Windows lite does not currently support Win 2K/XP but there is a another tool available for removing IE (not for "2000 sr2" and XP). The tool can be found at www.98lite.net and the best of all its freeware for personal use. I cant tell anything about how good it works since I have not tried it out yet (and will probably not do that either).

~micael

but there is a another tool available for removing IE

that's the key here tho...you want to get rid of OE...you have to toss IE as well...(opera anyone?)...wgetting rid of IE scares me ...we all know how "integrated" it is (thanks doj)...i'd "just say no"...the files don;t take up a lot of room on a modern hd...just secure them with an acl...and forget about em...
    I used to be With IT. But then they changed what IT was. Now what I'm with isn't IT, and what's IT seems scary and weird." - Abe Simpson