Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Posts suggestion

Antionline Herpetologist

Posts suggestion

I got tired of seeing a lot of people abusing the ranking system by making non-security related posts (world's longest thread, short story) and I was thinking, it would be nice if the person who starts the thread can specify whether the posts on that thread count towards elevating in the rankings. Something like a checkbox that says "Posts do not count" or something of the sort. That would mean that only the people who make relevant posts rise in the rankings. Could be something to think about. It could also have implications for abuse though, so let me know what you guys think.
    Cheers,
    cgkanchi

I think the system works as it is, most AO users are fairly savvy at spotting the loosers from the users. Further restrictions shouldn't be required.

J.
    [glowpurple]manually editing your config files can break them. If this happens, you get to keep both pieces. [/glowpurple]

besides, non-security issues are posted in general chit chat and deserve to be there as much as any security post.
    Learn like you are going to live forever, live like you are going to die tomorrow.

Propoganda

yes i agree. a post is a post and should count as such. if it is not security related, then it belongs in general chit chat. if a user is just posting any lame thing he can think of just for the sake of posting and to try and look cool, then that person needs to get a life. other members will see the lamer for what he is and should take action, such as assinging negative points or flaming i am sure.

ur right CG/dig dug
    One good thing

Antionline Herpetologist
    Oh well, 4 more posts and I'm a junior member (actually 3 after this one) . Doesn't it bother you that I got away with a totally useless post like that?
    Cheers,
    cgkanchi

Why should your post bother anyone? The ranking system may not be perfect but after a while here at AO you'll learn to sort out the crap and go right to the good post's.

And a title is just only a titel, I do listen as much to new members (newbies) as to old members (seniors) as long as they post good and interesting threads. And what would AO be without "bad people", a bit boring a good flame war now and then can be refreshing .

~micael

AntiOnline Senior Member souleman's Avatar
    I agree in some ways with cg. But not a button that says the posts don't count. I would rather it just be that posts in General Chit Chat don't count. Or have a seperate ranking. I have seen people with over 100 posts in under 48 hours, and probably 1/2 of those posts are all in one thread. They post a reply to every single post written by someone else.

I never used to care really, but now that there are things like the AO Addicts forum, I think that you should actually have to "earn" your way their, not just post a lot of nothing, just to get posts so you can get in that forum.
    \"Ignorance is bliss....
    but only for your enemy\"
    -- souleman

Will there ever be a solution?

Whatever you do, I don't think you will get a good solution.

Yes, it might be better if, to qualify for AO addict, your antipoints would count. However, this would mean that Senior members and moderators need to be very active in "rewarding" "good" security posts.

Do note the quotes around rewarding and good. That's very subjective and I don't think we should be here to be rewarded.

I don't care about titles ... I just care about sharing information with others.

Cheers,

BrainStop.

Doesn't the [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] antipoints show the user from the luser??

I think them antipoints, combined with number of posts shows you how 'good' someone has been doing on AO..
    ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI.
    When in Russia, pet a PETSCII.

Get your ass over to SLAYRadio the best station for C64 Remixes !