Thread: Law-question

Law-question

I dunno where this question is supposed to go really, so if this is totally wrong, please excuse me. I did however see something about laws here so this might just be the place after all?

The question is as follows.

A while back my site, cshrp.net got hacked. A screenshot and my flames can be found here http://www.cshrp.net/content.aspx?showID=591. Anyway. Cshrp.net is owned by a swedish company, but it is hosted in the US.

If I want to pass this to appropriate authorities, would this be authorities in the state where my server is at or the swedish authorities.

How good a chance is there that they will bother? Should I track the hacker down myself and pass the info on to the authorities?

Any help, or a general discussion much appreciated.

Thanks,
    Mankan

\"The purpose of abstraction is not to be vague, but to create a new semantic level in which one can be absolutely precise.\"
    - Edsger Dijkstra

I recommend both. And send a letter with a cc to both so it is visible you did so to both govt parties.
    Trappedagainbyperfectlogic.

Banned
    Here are some interesting quotes van Steve Gibson's 'The Attacks on GRC.com'-story...

Both FBI guys said similar things: They explained that until $5,000 of damage had been done, no crime had even been committed. That's the law.

Secondly, they said that even if we did manage to meet the $5,000 minimum required for "Wicked's" activities to qualify as criminal, their staffs were overloaded and swamped with cases involving companies that had lost huge sums of money to Internet crime. Furthermore, since the cost of an FBI prosecution was in the neighborhood of $200,000, they needed to prioritize their cases based upon prosecuting criminals who were responsible for causing large dollar losses. "Wicked's" attacks, no matter how annoying, failed to qualify.

Thanks for the input. Any ideas on where to start if I choose to go after this hacker myself?
    I've read the profiler texts here and I've searched for his handle as well as the crews he's mentioning on google without any luck.

The profiler texts mentions an antisearch.com? But it doesn't seem to exist, at least it didn't when I tried.

Thanks,
    Mankan

\"The purpose of abstraction is not to be vague, but to create a new semantic level in which one can be absolutely precise.\"
    - Edsger Dijkstra

go on irc and pick a different handle yourself. browse and ask around if anybody knows him.

Stay anonymous. Those involved in less than legal incidents are notoriously suspicious.
    Trappedagainbyperfectlogic.

I posted your question to a legal listserv. The only response received was to notify the authorities in both jurisdictions. Before you notify anyone, you must decide whether you are going to seek civil or criminal sanctions against the hacker.

Hope that I have been some help.

Another funny thing, just to expand the topic a bit, is that my hosting company said nothing about the hack.

Is this the common behaviour of hosting services? In my own childish way of thinking I thought that it might have been in their own interest to start an investigation but maybe this isn't the way things are done?

Cheers,
    Mankan

- Edsger Dijkstra