Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why Drugs Should Be Legal!

AntiOnline Jr. Member

Lightbulb Why Drugs Should Be Legal!

I think drugs should be legal. this is just a thought.
    i think that they should sell drugs at the store for 25 cents a serving.
    the drugs should be manufactured by the government and no extra charge
    to make it. all drugs should have warning lables stateing side effects directions on
    how to use, what a lethal dose would be and all other things that would pertain to the general bad and good of the drug.
    now this may seem like a dumb thing to do, but think of all the time money and resources that it would save. there would be no more drug dealers because who is going to sell somthing for a quarter it woild be like dealing bublegum. people would not be getting killed who were not involved in drugs. also it would save money on policing and or any kind of task force that would be used on dealing with the drug problem. also these "make shift doctors" would not be dealing drugs such as methadone to help rehabilitate the users.
    now you may tink this is a dumb idea, but if someone is going to use drug they are going to whether it was legal or not and they would probably come to the same fate anyway. the point in life and in drugs is to pace yourself. those who cant pace will not win the race, and this will also free up space in the prisons so that is like saving 50 thousand dollar per year per inmate to spend on the good of our country. for instants better schools. putting someone through college. as far as the college thing goes take a person like an ordinary joe maybe high school drop out or graduate. It doesnt matter. everyone has money problems.
    lets say joe is broke and has no education so he goes and gets a job at mcdonalds making minimum wage paying minimum taxes working a 40 hour week minimum.
    my calculations come to 10,712.00 a year just above poverty level. with taxes taken out 8,569.60 take home. so he is only paying 2,142.40 roughly. over a 20 year period he is roughly paying 42,848.00 in taxes. lets say uncle sam says here joe 50,000.00 to get your ass an education and he goes to college. he gets his BA or BS in whatever. joe gets out gets a job making an average 15.00 an hour. he makes 600.00 a week. making total 31,000.00 a year and after taxes take home is about 24,960.00. he pays 6,040.00 a year in taxes alone. say after 20 year of work he is paying in taxes 120,800.00 minus the 50,000.00 that uncle sam gave him. the 42,848.00 he would have payed working at mcdonalds. he has payed around 30 thousand dollars more in his 20 year working then would have payed without the education.
    people would work more than 20 years if they enjoyed thier job. Also the goverment gets over a 20 year span 30,000.00 in taxes that they would have not have gotten,plus all the possesions he would have accumulated over the years like he may be able to afford a house
    and a car.
    now these figures are without a raise and things like that and i took an average of 20%
    for taxes, do the math

THIS IS JUST MY OPINION. I COULD BE WRONG.

My few cents to the drug discussion.

If the drugs should be manufactured by the government they also should be responsible for the treatment and rehab of addicts who not could handle all free drugs in a good way.

I would not want my daughter to be introduced to drugs in such an easy way were I hardly could control if she started to use it or not. Its hard as it is today to monitor a kid without to be worried every time she is going to the store.

Better to live with our restrictions and those using drugs of any kind be responsible for their own actions.

Thumbs up

The prohibition of drugs is a product of the liberal philosophy,
    beginning with the reforms of the Progressive Movement
    at the beginning of the 20th century.

Before then, there were no laws against drugs, no income
    taxes, and the prison population was small.
    Serious crimes got the death penalty.

They called it the "Robber Baron" era.
    The rich were respected, and the poor worked
    hard.

The "drug of choice" was alcohol. If you were an
    alcoholic, it was your own problem.

A bunch of little old ladies went on a holy
    crusade against alcohol, and it was outlawed (temporarily)
    in the 1920s.

Drugs were outlawed at about the same time.
    There was a new philosophy in criminal
    justice. It was no longer considered humane
    to punish criminals. Now they were labeled
    as "sick" and sentenced to long terms to be
    "rehabilitated"

Many new prisons had to be built.
    Hollywood made lots of "gangster" films.

"Progress" often has many unintended consequences.
    This is why I am a reactionary.
    Idealists who always want to "reform"
    everything should not have the power
    to experiment with other people's lives.
    I came in to the world with nothing. I still have most of it.

AntiOnline Jr. Member
    this is a view that i have sure it has its flaws but doesnt everything.
    as far as children go hey we can just require an age say 18, 21 or what have u
    but if u think they would be more accessible just ask your kids
    im sure your kid knows someone who does drugs. just knowing someone gives access
    it would be a mistake to think otherwise. Ive seen kids in elementary school
    5 and 6 graders selling weed. oh and as far as the government having to take responsibility
    there can also be a legal disclaimer.
    one more point in most cases of death from drugs they were not pure or people
    didnt know the drug with directions on them and the adverse effects on them also with the government manufacturing them they would be in the most part as pure as possible

please feel free to expand on the topic a really would like to hear the views.

together we may accually come to some kind of aggreement
    thank you

also dont forget the benifits of no mo drug dealers

oh where i live "pennsylvania" they have state stores for the selling of alcohol
    beer distributers and state stores for the purchase of liquer
    we could have a "drug store" no not eckards but a real drug store monitored
    by the police.

AntiOnline Jr. Member
    oh and not to piss any one off but u may see a rapid decline in rap music
    cause rappin about haw much drugs u sell wouldnt be that big a deal

First off, if drugs are legalized, there need to be two categories: marijuana and hard drugs. I say this because because marijuana isn't nearly as dangerous as hard drugs, and it's not physically addictive. It can be habit-forming, but everything can potentially be. Now, it's not so simple as setting a price of 25 cents per dose. You have to figure manufacturing costs, which include supplies, employee salaries, upkeep of any machinery, etc. There also has to be a way to either prevent people from getting addicted easily, or a way for them to dig themselves out if they do become addicted. It would be much like the stop-smoking support groups out there, or AA. You would also want to tax the drugs in order to pay for such programs. You can't increase the national defecit to help people who lost control of themselves. After all, it's just as much their fault as it is the drug's. There is also the issue of the impact on the society as a whole. You don't want somebody experimenting with heroin on the roads, patrolling the streets, pregnant at the time, etc. There has to be ways to keep people from doing that, or at least to cut down on it and deal with those who won't listen.

Now, there are also benefits to legalizing drugs. First off, organized crime will drop tremendously. After all, the main purpose of their existence would be gone. This is also related to another problem with drug prohibition. Most people who overdose do it accidently. They're used to a certain dosage, and as you know, most of it is cut with an alternate substance. What happens is that they accidently get a hold of some that's not cut, and boom. Overdose. They may also get some that's been cut with a highly toxic filler, and get poisoned by that, instead. If drugs are legalized, the resulting regulation would theoretically cut down on overdose cases. There will always be those who use it as a method of suicide, but they don't really count, because suicide is suicide. It doesn't matter how you do it.

As far as pot goes, it doesn't need much regulation except for purity, keeping people off the roads and such while high, and keeping pregnant people off of it. There would need to be warnings as to the side effects as well, but that's true with any drug. Pot has medical uses as well, that would be beneficial to those who suffer from illnesses such as cancer and glaucoma. I won't get into the details, about that, though. Most people know that already. It also has mental benefits. People who have mood problems can benefit from a buzz. For example, the school system is especially hard on me. They cram crap down my throat that I want nothing to do with, rape me out of every opportunity I have ever had to get away and learn some more beneficial things, and get all pissy when I get mad at them. My peers can be even worse. It's a living hell for me. Needless to say, that's very frustrating, and often I have wanted to kill myself or others because of it. On an average of every two or three weeks, I have a little. It really helps me cope a lot. People with anger problems would benefit from it, as it would help them control themselves while they get help. It certainly wouldn't be a solution, though.

There are also disadvantages to legalizing drugs. For example, most hard drugs are highly addictive. It's the whole cigarette debate all over again. Also, heroin addicts don't respond to most pain killers. That can be a great burden for medical professionals. There will also be some people at first who think of at as an excuse to go wild, and they'll end up killing themselves or others. That would go way down before too long, but it needs to be factored in.

Considering everything, I think that legalizing drugs (with some restrictions) would be a good move in the long run.

AntiOnline Jr. Member
    now this is what im talking about. clap clap clap
    definatly made a good point
    keep it up stflook

Did it ever occur to you that drug addicts can't hold a job? That they can't take care of their kids and that they need medical care?

Sure drugs could be legal in a happy world where there were no addicts but there are. Alcohol is legal in most of the modern world and in all of these countries there are the same problems with the addicts - They sooner or later need medical care, they easily become abusive to their family or whatever and they cost shitloads of money as the can't keep a job.

Now imagine these problems, but with hard drugs which hook you on an addiction in a matter of weeks and kills you in like 5 years or something.

That would suck.
    Mankan

\"The purpose of abstraction is not to be vague, but to create a new semantic level in which one can be absolutely precise.\"
    - Edsger Dijkstra

AntiOnline Jr. Member
    ok who ever gave me neg points fine but dont hide yourdelf and not let me know who u are and in response to the obove post as ive stated before pace yourself and im not saying do the drugs either.
    if someone becomes an addict they would have anyway and they would have spent alot more
    money and hurt their families much worse.
    acctually i know many fuctional heroine addicts they get good grades in school and do well in their jobs.
    but the bitch about it is they take the **** just to keep from getting sick.

Originally posted here by BERBURT
    ok who ever gave me neg points fine but dont hide yourdelf and not let me know who u are and in response to the obove post as ive stated before pace yourself and im not saying do the drugs either.
    if someone becomes an addict they would have anyway and they would have spent alot more
    money and hurt their families much worse.
    acctually i know many fuctional heroine addicts they get good grades in school and do well in their jobs.
    but the bitch about it is they take the **** just to keep from getting sick.
    I love fundamentally flawed arguments such as this. So basically Berburt, you're saying that since someone who becomes an addict will 'probably' become an addict anyways, you may as well GUARANTEE that this will happen?

Pardon me if I find that sentiment terribly terribly amusing.

All you'd be doing is encouraging people to do more drugs, which is probably a very bad thing.

stflook> I might have agreed with you a year ago, but Marijuana not being addictive is just a good 'ol lie. A friend of mine became addicted to the high provided by Marijuana, and it also did some other serious things to him, it screwed him up royally. I would still prefer people smoke pot than cigarettes, but if that was the case, I would hope that governments doing this kind of thing would tax the hell out of pot and make their buck off it. Drug use is something that shouldn't be encouraged.
    Chris Shepherd
    The Nelson-Shepherd cutoff: The point at which you realise someone is an idiot while trying to help them.
    \"Well as far as the spelling, I speak fluently both your native languages. Do you even can try spell mine ?\" -- Failed Insult
    Is your whole family retarded, or did they just catch it from you?