Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: OS wars (rant)

Exclamation OS wars (rant)

Warning : RANT

What the hell is up with all these advocates for one OS or another? i'm getting sick of the whole "My OS can do things your Os can't.." BS. In my opinion, any OS can do whatever any other OS can do. The only limitation is the hardware. Windows can be just as secure as Linux, and Linux can be just as user-friendly and compatible as Windows. People are just getting so lazy and ignorant that they judge these OSes as they are out of the box. There are tons of programs out there that add more functionality to whatever OS you're using, and if you can't find what you need, you can always write your own.

Banned
    Bascially an OS should suit you as a person and your needs.

A home user say your granny is suitable to a user friendly OS she can use- hence Windows ME.

Your a programmer, probably a C/C++ coder - hell give the man a Linux distro

Appy this to FreeBSD etc. and you see what I mean, I hope.

That's not entirely true, some OS can't do everything and it's not only the hardware.
    Besides Linux is safe, not secure. If you wanna talk secure then it's BSD, but then again OpenBSD doesn't do Java AND Linux can't be user friendly as Windows can because not everyone liks/knows how to handle UNIX. I can't imagine seeing anybody wanting to learn how to work with Bash.
    And this ranting can go on an on for hours.

Just because it hasn't been done yet, doesn't mean it can't be done.

i agree with you delstar,

there are different os's because people have different needs and every one is free to choose what the like. I mean everyone dosn't want to thnk like a tech-head, if they did i'd be out of a job.
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

oblio
    oh yes Windows 2000 bloatware can certainly perform the tasks of chorus os uh huh yep yep

exactly...that's what we techies are here for. to help people figure out how to get done what they need to get done with what they have. as far as things like having java capabilities and the such, that's not quite what i'm talking about here. i'm talking about end product. linux can have a gui interface just like windows (remember the transition from dos to windows?). windows can be as safe as linux. you just have to figure out how to do it. same with all the bad things. linux is just as ridden with buffer overflows and the such as windows is.

i totally agree with delstar....OS's are only as good as the person running it also. linux could suck if the person does not know about security...and 2k might be the best machine on the net if the person knows what they are doing.
    all problems, no matter how big, when you boil them down, endup being a microsoft issue

I think it really boils down to how much you really know and the effort you put into it. Because i think you can lock down a windows box just as tight as a unix box. It may take time and effort but it can be done.If your willing to take the time to do it anything can be done.
    I toor\'d YOU!

Delstar...what OS(s) are you running and why?
    ...This Space For Rent.

-[WebCarnage]