Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: OS wars (rant)

now webcarage is talking! i currently run 5 machines. on a network. the server is freebsd (with a kernal my friend wrote). i got one as a constant downloader (music or whatever hehe) one is mine (for everything that i do, surf, photoshop). one is my roommates (he helps run my business) , another in the living room (jukebox with winamp and a tv out card to watch the avs or other presets on the tv while jammin) and the final is my ripper (for dvd rips and cdr for burning svcd's and such and basically our file server). the total os are as follows: freebsd, mandrake (ya red hat is better but he likes mandrake (running gnome)) win 2k adv server win 2k and win 98SE (the jukebox...what else is 9.x good for hhaha)

but then again i upgrade computers for a living and get parts all the time so i just buy some ram and a few other cheap things and the systems are up and done (cheap...normally under $100)
    all problems, no matter how big, when you boil them down, endup being a microsoft issue

alright...now i want to hear responses from other members...preferably newbies

lol...Getting sick of us already delstar?

Good idea's though. I applaude you.
    ...This Space For Rent.

-[WebCarnage]

delstar

I imagine I'll probably get mass flamed and suffer heaps of negative APs, but here goes:

I prefer to use windows OS's because of the ease of use. This is the OS I learned on (well, actually I had a C64 way back...but that's another thread.), and it's the one I feel the most comfortable with. Now, this is not to say that I feel windows is a superior product to UNIX or any Linux distro. In fact, I share the same distrust of M$ that most of you do. Even though I prefer windows, I have installed several different Linux distros just for the learning experience (I currently have a distro of RH running on an old P150), and I have nothing bad to say about Linux...but until I feel 100% confident that I know what's going on inside my Linux box I won't put it online as my primary computer. I think it's an irrelevant arguement to say one OS is better than the other...it's a preference for the user.

Let the flames begin!
    \"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I\'m not sure about the former.\" -- Albert Einstein

good response, t1t3sonet. use whatever you feel you're most comfortable with and whatever suits your needs. While i think Windows can be a great OS, I don't advocate MS as a corporation. Personally, i'm glad that they are being forced to release their code to the states.

Linux is just as capable as Windows is when it comes to crashing. At least, the copy of Mandrake Linux I downloaded is. Either that or it's my crash-talent at work.

At least Windows has drivers for my USB DSL Modem and Sound Card. (Yes, I know it's a partial manufacturer issue...)
    [HvC]Terr: L33T Technical Proficiency

I am a cracker
    In my opinion, any OS can do whatever any other OS can do. The only limitation is the hardware. Windows can be just as secure as Linux, and Linux can be just as user-friendly and compatible as Windows.
    Windows can be just as secure as a linux I don't think so, You might wanna do a little research before posting such a statement.

Originially Posted By: Terr
    Linux is just as capable as Windows is when it comes to crashing. At least, the copy of Mandrake Linux I downloaded is. Either that or it's my crash-talent at work.

At least Windows has drivers for my USB DSL Modem and Sound Card. (Yes, I know it's a partial manufacturer issue...)
    I did something the other day that I never knew was possible...I crashed my TI calculator...
    ...This Space For Rent.

-[WebCarnage]

Originally posted here by I am a cracker

Windows can be just as secure as a linux I don't think so, You might wanna do a little research before posting such a statement.
    Neither is secure out of the box...that is what the admin is for. I wouldn't trust any OS with a default install (except openbsd).

Contrary to popular belief, linux is NOT secure out of the box!!!

Oh yeah...as far as my preference ( i use them all) but I would have to go with freebsd. There is something to be said about simplicity. The funny thing is that it takes a complex wealth of knowledge to understand the simplicity of *nix. Oxymoron??

Originally posted here by [WebCarnage]
    I did something the other day that I never knew was possible...I crashed my TI calculator...
    Good job. Now, Grasshopper, you must graduate to the cellphone. Then the walkie-talkie. And eventually, you shall master the art of Crashing the Party, Hanging the clothes, Debugging the flourescent zapper, and Corrupting the Politicians. Do not fail in these tremendously difficult tasks!

P.S. Booyeah! I just noticed JP seems to have updated the quote code so that a link to the original post exists!
    [HvC]Terr: L33T Technical Proficiency