Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: OS wars (rant)

right now i'm using Windows 2000 Advanced Server....my boss is shipping me another Linux box sometime soon....I use Windows 2000 because it takes the least effort to get things done, and it does them well....i use linux because i like handling networks on a low-level basis as well as it's a good programming platform.

Banned
    Windows owns you all....the sooner you accept this, the better life will become. You might even get some nookie. :P

And do you not prefer one over the other? I use Windows 2000 Professional, and I must admit, I think it is actually quite sufficient for what I need to do (which isn't asking much), I also have two distros: RedHat and Slackware, I run RedHat right now though...but the damned laptop fell or something and now I'm getting nothing ...Gotta get another one.

Yet after re-reading your first post about three times, I fail to understand what you are trying to accomplish. Who's side are you on? Linux, UNIX, BSD, Windows? I hear no mention of Apple computers in this discussion...does this mean they are thought less often then the rest, and should be shunned for their incapabilities? I honestly think your acting like a 10 year old...fighting with a friend on which genere of music is 'better', while in the end, you peacefully agree that all have it's pro's and con's. Heavy Metal is awesome when your mad...and Blues are just as good when your with a lover. Same with Operating Systems. Windows userfriendliness + Linux safty = Linux Distro with WinE :P (no, bad PC joke...but still). You get where I'm going with this?
    ...This Space For Rent.

-[WebCarnage]

Originally posted here by delstar
    right now i'm using Windows 2000 Advanced Server....my boss is shipping me another Linux box sometime soon....I use Windows 2000 because it takes the least effort to get things done, and it does them well....i use linux because i like handling networks on a low-level basis as well as it's a good programming platform.
    How, exactly, do "handle networks"? If it's too personal a question I'll understand......
    Mankind have a great aversion to intellectual labor; but even supposing knowledge to be easily attainable, more people would be content to be ignorant than would take even a little trouble to acquire it.
    - Samuel Johnson

umm...i thought the point of my post is that i'm not on any side, and i don't see why everyone is arguing about it

umm...i thought the point of my post is that i'm not on any side, and i don't see why everyone is arguing about it
    Yes, you are neutral then. But according to your thoughts, all OS's can do the same thing, just handled differently, and the obvious fact of hardware - correct? Then why is it that there is more than one OS, why so many? Shouldn't somebody 'smart' (and no...not BillG.), step up and create a 'combined' OS grasping aspects from every OS's pro's. And leaving the con's to deal with later. While at the same time making a new line of 'All-Purpose' hardware, or simply using today's hardware.

And furthermore, friend. This isn't an argument...well it is. But I'd prefer to say discussion...I belive no Negative Antipoints were givin out to anybody who posted here...this proves all is well. And no grudges are being held. State your idea...stick with it 'till the end. Where you either convert, ...or win.
    ...This Space For Rent.

-[WebCarnage]

bottom line here is that we all use what works for us....and while "windows might own us all" we still use it for funtionality. delstar is right no point in aguing...everyone has good exprences and bad...and we will make our option based on that. some think windows suck...some thing linux is for people with no life and like to program. i say it again we use what works for us.
    all problems, no matter how big, when you boil them down, endup being a microsoft issue

Good point Shadowmaker. But if one OS had the same if not more capabilities as another OS you are using, wouldn't you switch over? Obviously you'd need to get familiar with the GUI...but you still had to with Windows didn't you? All I'm saying is that, there are better OS's for different fuctions. I'd never trust an IIS5.0 at the top of my website today...Apache or nothing. Thats just me.
    ...This Space For Rent.

-[WebCarnage]

alright. i'll agree that some OSes are better for certain things. But i use my computer(s) for several things, like graphic design, digital music production, learning, networking, programming, etc., so i try to keep my OS as versatile as possible. You have some good points, WebCarnage, I'll give you that.

alright. i'll agree that some OSes are better for certain things. But i use my computer(s) for several things, like graphic design, digital music production, learning, networking, programming, etc., so i try to keep my OS as versatile as possible. You have some good points, WebCarnage, I'll give you that.
    Yes, I agree with you here. Having multiple computers of the same OS (yet fitted to behaive differently from the rest) run at once, preferably networked, is the best thing to do. Not to mention, if you can get different OS's installed on each. Now...ideally you'd need one PC for each Operating System, and then subsections of computers containing each different GUI. But many of us can't afford, or much less bother with all of that. Yet people like you and me are taking advantage... learning from both sides of the river.
    ...This Space For Rent.

-[WebCarnage]