Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Manifesto

Banned

Post The Manifesto

Ive been looking over my archive on my computer, and I found the Hackers Manifesto by +++The Mentor+++, does anyone know what the meaning behind the writing? Or why he wrote it... If anyone doesnt have the thing, Its below I look forward to your responces
    Another one got caught today, it's all over the papers. "Teenager Arrested in Computer Crime Scandal", "Hacker Arrested after Bank Tampering"... Damn kids. They're all alike. But did you, in your three-piece psychology and 1950's technobrain, ever take a look behind the eyes of the hacker? Did you ever wonder what made him tick, what forces shaped him, what may have molded him? I am a hacker, enter my world... Mine is a world that begins with school... I'm smarter than most of the other kids, this crap they teach us bores me... Damn underachiever. They're all alike. I'm in junior high or high school. I've listened to teachers explain for the fifteenth time how to reduce a fraction. I understand it. "No, Ms. Smith, I didn't show my work. I did it in my head..." Damn kid. Probably copied it. They're all alike. I made a discovery today. I found a computer. Wait a second, this is cool. It does what I want it to. If it makes a mistake, it's because I screwed it up. Not because it doesn't like me or feels threatened by me or thinks I'm a smart ass or doesn't like teaching and shouldn't be here...damn kid. All he does is play games. They're all alike. And then it happened. A door opened to a world. Rushing through the phone line like heroin through an addict's veins, an electronic pulse is sent out, a refuge from the day-to-day incompetencies is sought... a board is found. "This is it... this is where I belong..." I know everyone here... even if I've never met them, never talked to them, may never hear from them again... I know you all... Damn kid. Tying up the phone line again. They're all alike... You bet your ass we're all alike... we've been spoon-fed baby food at school when we hungered for steak... the bits of meat that you did let slip through were pre-chewed and tasteless. We've been dominated by sadists, or ignored by the apathetic. The few that had something to teach found us willing pupils, but those few are like drops of water in the desert.

This is our world now... the world of the electron and the switch, the beauty of the baud. We make use of a service already existing without paying for what could be dirt-cheap if it wasn't run by profiteering gluttons, and you call us criminals. We explore... and you call us criminals. We seek after knowledge... and you call us criminals. We exist without skin color, without nationality, without religious bias... and you call us criminals. You build atomic bombs, you wage wars, you murder, cheat, and lie to us and try to make us believe it's for our own good, yet we're the criminals.
    Yes, I am a criminal. My crime is that of curiosity. My crime is that of judging people by what they say and think, not what they look like. My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive me for. I am a hacker, and this is my manifesto. You may stop this individual, but you can't stop us all... after all, we're all alike.

Banned
    this is a great example of the misconception of hackers. probably the best i've heard. it was written right after he got busted and goes into how he feels about the whole situation: how hackers are usually the outcast because they are smarter than everybody else, how cyberspace is the only place one can feel accepted without any form of discrimination, how being curios and wanting to learn is a crime.

My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive me for.
    This is always a given.

Teacher kicks you out of class coz you are always two steps ahead of the class.. and calls u a smart arse. Giving u "special" exams after pointin out their mistakes and telling you "since you are so smart, why dont i let you do one of these special exams.."

but that is juz one scenario.. it always happens everywhere anywhere at anytime..
    They dont like you for being smarter than them..

i think it is deeper then that though. i think that it says how corporate america is evil. it also says how the laws that govern hackers are hypocritical becuase the crimes hackers commit are nothing compared to the crimes the government commits.

The following data has not been completely researched and may be considered as
    rumors. Bit Blitz busted for phreaking, the organization and enforcement
    agencies are unknown. However, $3000 worth of computer material (7 computers)
    were confiscated. Also it is reported that The Mentor informed on him.

The Mentor was busted for breaking into his school to steal 29 computers. Also
    it has been said that Poltergeist is in the hospital with leukemia.
    It is unknown if any other members were busted for any other reasons. However,
    all former members are apparently safe now.

The Bit Blitz and Crustaceo Mutoid are supposedly forming a new group called
    Rising Force and The Mentor is starting an elite hacking group.

==Phrack Inc.==
    Volume One, Issue Two, Phile 9 of 9
    Ok, I sympathize with hackers who feel alienated by their own intelligence. That sucks. And "Last Words" is an nice little insight into how hackers can be treated. Being smarter is not a crime. But using this knowledge to commit crimes is wrong.

If you read this quote and the similar crap that abounds in The Prack Philes and other trashy magazines, you can see how pathetic these kids are. The Mentor (gotta love the prentitious handle) broke the law and got busted. Sorry but actions have consequences. Isn't AO all about stopping people like this?
    OpenBSD - The proactively secure operating system.

on one way it is true that people alienates to to other people they feel are more knowledgeable then they are in pc.
    I remember in my only pr class, after doing a presentation on pc and security and gotten the pc to crash as being my conclusion, being ask one question only :
    "are you a hacker?" pointless to say no/or yes they had already made their mind and i could feel the strange looks on me as if the fbi was going to burst in to arrest me in any minute...
    this is all about perception of the non-pc people they look at us as wizzards sometimes cuz we can solve all their petty problems yet they are reppelled by what they don't associate.
    They imagine that we are all nerds/techies/geeks... they refuse to understand that it is only a generaliization.
    I respect the "Mentor" point of view, yet he still got busted cuz he was on the wrong side... too bad but he does have some points
    assembly.... digital dna ?

crimes hackers commit are nothing compared to the crimes the government commits.
    i agree but there are some cases where a hacking incident is a major problem.. like da time when a juvenile took down an air traffic control tower and planes had no choice but to fly in circles up in the air and wait till the tower goes back on line.. now the kid didnt knew that he took down an air traffic control tower.. he thought it was a local radio station... thousands of people could have died if the air traffic control tower didnt go back online...

Banned
    But is not knowing really a crime, the public doesnt know what goes on behind the eyes of a hacker, when a hacker gets arrested the public says, 'Well, he knew too much'. But does that make it OK for them to arrest him? Everyone thinks we were born with computers in our hands, they dont know how hard most of us worked to get at this level in knowledge, that is the reason everyone is 'scared' of hackers, Knowledge is Power, and with power comes revolt, and so was born, the hacker.

BTW, does anyone know what the whole thing with MafiaBoy was?

but with power comes responsibility. abuse of that power is no good either...
    Learn like you are going to live forever, live like you are going to die tomorrow.

Propoganda

What I heard -
    Mafiaboy was arrested for breaking into computers and being in possession of stolen info.

Don't know of outcome?
    Trappedagainbyperfectlogic.