Thread: BeOs dies

Post BeOs dies

BeOs is not to BeOs. Now suing big m for anticompetitive practices. Seems We've heard that.

see link

http://news.com.com/2100-1040-840478.html

Good luck to them.

Pity hitachi lost the courage.
    Trappedagainbyperfectlogic.

PHP/PostgreSQL guy
    That's too bad. Even though I never did keep up with (or even start) BeOs, anything in competition with MS is a good thing. And get a load of this crap:

[quote]"This sort of litigation is not in the interest of consumers, nor is it good for the industry," said Microsoft spokesman Jim Desler. "The industry is at its best when it's developing new products and focusing on innovation." [/i]

Like MS has anything to say about innovdation and "developing" new products. Yeah right, whatever...

Good post btw.
    We the willing, led by the unknowing, have been doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much with so little for so long that we are now qualified to do just about anything with almost nothing.

It's really too bad, because with sufficient marketing and software & driver support, BE could have been a really good desktop replacement for Windows. It could have been what MacOS was never able to be, hell, Apple practically stole the idea for OSX from Be...

Oh well, it's really too bad, and everything is in Palm's hands now.
    Chris Shepherd
    The Nelson-Shepherd cutoff: The point at which you realise someone is an idiot while trying to help them.
    \"Well as far as the spelling, I speak fluently both your native languages. Do you even can try spell mine ?\" -- Failed Insult
    Is your whole family retarded, or did they just catch it from you?

Originally posted here by chsh
    I It could have been what MacOS was never able to be, hell, Apple practically stole the idea for OSX from Be...

Oh well, it's really too bad, and everything is in Palm's hands now.
    Now I´m not gonna say you are entirely wrong but I believe Next Step + MacOS is what became OSX. Not BE + Mac.

AntiOnline Senior Member souleman's Avatar
    OSX is Mac + NeXT. Considering Steve Jobs brought NeXT with him when he went back to Apple. I believe what chsh ment was that OSX is a powerful (unix kernal) and user friendly (Mac) which is what BeOs was. NeXT had some power behind it, but the gui wasn't that good. At least I never really liked it.
    \"Ignorance is bliss....
    but only for your enemy\"
    -- souleman

As a user of BeOS 5 Personal Edition, the news of the death/conversion of the operating system was known about a while ago. Its hard to compete in a world where there are so many other quality operating systems. They created a quality product that still works well. I have found the their website no longer offers BeOS for free download unfortunately.
    Jealousy consumes the weak.
    http://www.badconnections.net

oblio
    BEOS sucked anyways.

Originally posted here by souleman
    OSX is Mac + NeXT. Considering Steve Jobs brought NeXT with him when he went back to Apple. I believe what chsh ment was that OSX is a powerful (unix kernal) and user friendly (Mac) which is what BeOs was. NeXT had some power behind it, but the gui wasn't that good. At least I never really liked it.
    This is actually what I was going for. BeOS and MacOS X have a lot in common. BeOS was a powerful OS that had a simpler frontend that allowed an end user to figure the stuff out easily.

Focmaester, I am aware that Steve Jobbs brought NeXT with him, but I think that a lot of design similarities exist between BeOS and MacOS which kinda makes me wonder if Apple didn't at least take something from the OS. Then again, we discussed this in IRC, so this is kind of a moot point.
    Chris Shepherd
    The Nelson-Shepherd cutoff: The point at which you realise someone is an idiot while trying to help them.
    \"Well as far as the spelling, I speak fluently both your native languages. Do you even can try spell mine ?\" -- Failed Insult
    Is your whole family retarded, or did they just catch it from you?