Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Does time really exist?

AntiOnline Jr. Member

Does time really exist?

This is just a thought

If u think about time, really what does one revolution on our planets axis=1 day
    broken down into 24 hrs.
    one revolution of our planet around the sun=1 year and 1/4 days
    which isnt even perfect, have anything to do with the rest of the universe?

yes.. time IS an illusion .. but our only reference.
    I do think it is meaningless outside our context.

Maybe this site has something that will satisfy your question BERBURT...
    Time Cube
    -Matty_Cross
    \"Isn\'t sanity just a one trick pony anyway? I mean, all you get is one trick. Rational Thinking.
    But when you\'re good and crazy, hehe, the skies the limit!!\"

I think time is just a man's invention.

We get old just because we must allow space in earth for our 'sons' and the other species, but not for time.

In the end, time is an illusion we can believe. Then you're in the road to death

Time is a most real thing. In fact, one could argue that for every n dimension there is an n+1 dimension that would be the time for that dimension.

If time didn't exist, everything would occur at the same time which it doesn't.

Time is a dimension though not a spatial one and as such it can only be traveled in one direction. In fact, the faster you go, the slower time passes and if you were to travel at the speed of light, time would stand still.

Just my two cents though, and maybe Einsteins
    Mankan

\"The purpose of abstraction is not to be vague, but to create a new semantic level in which one can be absolutely precise.\"
    - Edsger Dijkstra

The Theory of Relativity (Genereal & Special) say that time is, in essence, a counterpart of existence. The mere existence of matter (space) also requires the existence of time, which is why Einstein called it spacetime, not just space.
    Chris Shepherd
    The Nelson-Shepherd cutoff: The point at which you realise someone is an idiot while trying to help them.
    \"Well as far as the spelling, I speak fluently both your native languages. Do you even can try spell mine ?\" -- Failed Insult
    Is your whole family retarded, or did they just catch it from you?

Time is real at least for objects and beings subject to it.

btw - chsh - why are you so happy?
    Trappedagainbyperfectlogic.

Well since the theory of relativity is man made then I would have to say time is man-made also. But necessary for our tiny minds to quantify existence.
    Mankind have a great aversion to intellectual labor; but even supposing knowledge to be easily attainable, more people would be content to be ignorant than would take even a little trouble to acquire it.
    - Samuel Johnson

AntiOnline Jr. Member
    in the posts that are here there are alot of things said but nothing proved.
    I personally challenge anyone to prove or disprove the existance of time!

Originally posted here by KorpDeath
    Well since the theory of relativity is man made then I would have to say time is man-made also. But necessary for our tiny minds to quantify existence.
    KorpDeath> I disagree, simply because man observes something, it does not equate to man making something. For instance, we can observe trees, animals, plants, even other planets and solar systems. Simply because it exists and we've observed it and labeled it doesn't mean that we've created something. Time is an observable thing, not something we engineered.

BerBurt> as per your post, I would challenge you to do the same. Try reading some proofs and coming up with a valid argument.

Keep in mind that until you reach a certain speed, even Newton's outdated laws of physics apply. Newton based his comments on observation, as did Einstein. You could look at it the following way:
    [Newton's Laws]->[Relativity]->[Quantum Mechanics]
    ----------------------------speed------------------------------>

Each theory/set of rules/whatever describes a certain amount of what happens to matter as it increases in speed and/or mass.

Newton was 100% correct in his laws of physics based on his observable universe. Einstein was correct with General Relativity based on his observable universe. The scientists working with Quantum Mechanics are discovering so far that portions of Quantum Mechanics are correct (such as FTL).

I would challenge you to disprove time, as it is something that most, if not all scientists would agree exists.

Perhaps you are merely annoyed because your question was answered and you don't like the answer?
    Chris Shepherd
    The Nelson-Shepherd cutoff: The point at which you realise someone is an idiot while trying to help them.
    \"Well as far as the spelling, I speak fluently both your native languages. Do you even can try spell mine ?\" -- Failed Insult
    Is your whole family retarded, or did they just catch it from you?