Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 127.0.0.1??

127.0.0.1??

what does the address 127.0.0.1 stand for ? And what happens when we ping the address ..
    i know its for self pinging ...but could u tell me what actually happens......

127.0.0.1 is the loopback address, it's not a 'real' ip, it's used to check that local set-up is working. (ie: ping 127.0.0.1 should always work even without a NIC)
    Do a google search for more info.

J>
    [glowpurple]manually editing your config files can break them. If this happens, you get to keep both pieces. [/glowpurple]

Hrms..i'm freaked out. I pinged 127.0.0.1 and the request timed out. I thought it loops back and i'd get a reply?
    script language=\"M$cript\";
    function beginError(bsod) {
    return true; }
    onLoad.windows = beginError;

Originally posted here by morfius
    I thought it loops back and i'd get a reply?

It does and you will....do you have the incoming ping request permanently blocked by your firewall?

Banned
    127.0.0.1 is the same thing as localhost... So try to ping localhost it might work

127.0.0.1 is simply an alias for the local server on your computer (usually 'localhost' although sometimes it can be 'linux'). You can usually use any 127.*.*.* address as well. If you don't have a local server installed it merely acts as a loopback address.

If the request times out either you have a firewall blocking incoming packets or you could try localhost (although this shouldn't make any difference as they point to the same thing).
    Paul Waring - Web site design and development.

AntiOnline Senior Member souleman's Avatar
    If it times out, there could also be a problem with your ethernet card. Depends on what OS you are running. In linux, if you ping 127.0.0.1, and it times out, that means that either networking is disabled, lo is down, or a firewall is blocking you pings. In windows, it means either a firewall is blocking, or networking is disabled.
    \"Ignorance is bliss....
    but only for your enemy\"
    -- souleman

Senior since the 3 dot era
    a remark:

The localhost can be whatever name you want on home boxes. One of my linux boxes, for instance, now has "VictorKaum" as localhost, it's not a usual config and I'am going to change it back to the original, but with some little "tweaks" you can play with all the networking stuff...
    However: I'am not responsible when you do something bad to your box as root

Normally a ping to 127.0.0.1 should work.

Originally posted here by VictorKaum
    a remark:

The localhost can be whatever name you want on home boxes. One of my linux boxes, for instance, now has "VictorKaum" as localhost, it's not a usual config and I'am going to change it back to the original, but with some little "tweaks" you can play with all the networking stuff...
    However: I'am not responsible when you do something bad to your box as root

Normally a ping to 127.0.0.1 should work.
    It is possible to change the name from localhost, but it often doesn't work properly with some servers and it's really not worth the hassle. The only time you'll need to change the alias is if you are running a website and want to point the address 'www.whatever.com' to your local IP.
    Paul Waring - Web site design and development.

Computer Forensics
    Like everyone said 127.0.0.1 is the local loopback address. 127.* is reserved specifically for this. The only good thing about pinging yourself is it can tell you if tcp/ip is properly configured on your network card. So, if you can't ping yourself and you don't have a firewall, something might be off in your tcp/ip settings. THats not to say it won't work....it just means that something may be misconfigged.
    Antionline in a nutshell
    \"You\'re putting the fate of the world in the hands of a bunch of idiots I wouldn\'t trust with a potato gun\"

Trust your Technolust