Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 127.0.0.1??

Senior since the 3 dot era

That was my point ;)

Originally posted here by pwaring

It is possible to change the name from localhost, but it often doesn't work properly with some servers and it's really not worth the hassle. The only time you'll need to change the alias is if you are running a website and want to point the address 'www.whatever.com' to your local IP.
    Yep I know, it's not worth the hassle, cause when you don't run a website you do get troubles with for instance your sendmail or other network related stuff... My point was that it could easily be done... but it has no use on home boxes (only trouble).

its actually not for "self pinging" because like jcdux said you dont need access to the internet for this to work. its for testing services on your box(win/*nix/whatever). like if you wanted to see if your welcome message for your telnet daemon was working you can telnet yourself and see.
    all work and no play makes bios a dull boy

Bios's comment is right, the loopback adress is also for using services on your own computer. This is usefull in many ways, for example, you with ssh you can set up tunnels, to use this tunnel with the client, you would usually use the loopback adress(es).

One difference to using your other address (for example 192.168.0.1, or 1.2.3.4), is that you could bind a service that you only want accessible from the server itself to a loopback address, for example, the administrative server of IIS.

The loopback is also used in routing tables; check out your routing table with "route print" in a command promt (in windows). You'll see that your local interface is routed to 127.0.0.1.

Ammo

Another thing:

Originally posted here by jcdux
    (ie: ping 127.0.0.1 should always work even without a NIC)
    The loopback address(es) should always work AS LONG AS you have TCP/IP setuped on your computer...

A windows box with no modem and no NICs (ie, nothing to bind TCP/IP to, ie as no IP stack) will no answer to ping 127.0.0.1...

About the firewalls: a well configured firewall should (usually) allow everything on 127.0.0.0/8... you're looking for troubles otherwise...

Ammo

hahah
    whoa..even though this aint my thread, looks like i've got everyone answering my question! thanks... i think it's just my network card that may be temp. stuffed.
    script language=\"M$cript\";
    function beginError(bsod) {
    return true; }
    onLoad.windows = beginError;

thankx guys !!! Needed to know .......this stuff
    NOONE DIES A VIRGIN ...LIFE F***K\'S YOU ANYWAY!!!!!