Thread: Help With My Mouse

Question Help With My Mouse

I have an IBM PC 350. I have Windows Sec. Ed. on it. It keeps saying it can not detect a mouse pc/2 mouse attached. I have reloaded the drivers and tried other mouses or mice : ).
    The weird thing it that if I'm haveing trouble, and I restart the computer and go into the CMOS, but I don't edit anything and I exit, It will load from there, and it does not have the problem for a while. What is wrong can you help. People that know somthingg please tell me otherwise don't post. I will probably have to install a mouse card.

Hi mom!
    Sounds to me like your ps/2-port is screwed. Try to plug in another one, they shouldn't be that expensive. By the way, have you tried serial mouses? If they don't work either, it's not the ps/2 port
    I wish to express my gratitude to the people of Italy. Thank you for inventing pizza.

Senior since the 3 dot era
    Cause you mentioned that when you enter the bios and change nothing and leave, then it works... I guess that some of your Bios settings are erased when you start (check cmos battery status) or that your cmos is trying to do an autoconfig and fails during POST, but not during a warm boot after you checked the bios. Only some thoughts...
    btw: if your PS/2 port is bad... disable it in cmos and use a serial mouse on one of your serial ports (com1, com2) in DOS. No need to install a mouse card

It seems that Guus typed faster then me... sorry. I was in the chatroom while posting this. greetz to Guus

Hi mom!
    You're chatting to much Victor - I'm at work, so I have plenty of spare time to write posts
    I wish to express my gratitude to the people of Italy. Thank you for inventing pizza.

Senior since the 3 dot era
    Guus: LOL, you should be working now... tssss....

about the mouse prob.:
    things to check:

windows drivers
    cmos
    cmos settings
    ps/2 port
    mouse
    cmos battery

try to locate the error...

Hi mom!
    If it's the cmos battery that's causing troubles, other functions, like system time, should be affected too - no need to pry out that little battery

yes CMOS battery can be a bitch...during a cold boot mine likes to fails sometimes(resulting in loading default settings) but you might be able to find a toggle switch having to do with the ps/2 socket on your motherboard. i had similar problems i found this option under integrated peripherals. if im repeating another post sorry i didnt read them all i just wrote what relieved my grief
    all work and no play makes bios a dull boy