Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Whats your job?

Hey Gbin@ryR...if you dont like the posts dont read them. You could probably tell by the subject that this thread would not apply to you. So why'd you read it? Better yet why post a reply? I guess you're just angry for some reason, so go ahead and be mad at me for posting 'nonsense threads', I'll try not to lose sleep over it.

Well, I am 24 years old, and currently work for a security consulting firm as a Senior Security Architect/Engineer. I am currently on a very large project managing security for a network of over 150,000 users worldwide.

My background is network security (of couse) but mainly is in network design and engineering, Cisco primarily (CCNP, CCDP, and soon CCIE hopefully). I have a lot of experience in network design for routing and switching in enterprise level environments.

I currently do firewall, IDS's, authentication, vulnerability assessments, and risk management. I also have all Checkpoint certs, and even MCSE (but I do not like to admit that...lol). Also taking CISSP this May.

I have been in the networking/security industry for almost 7 years...and I love it!!

I am a Domestic Preparedness/Technology Consultant...
    That means I work with a single WWW Server and I advise my clinets about technology issues such as wireless connectivity and what kinda Software to buy....

I come here with an interest in Cyber Security and Terrorism (preventing that is!)
    - Jimmy Mac

Replicants are like any technology, if there not a hazard, its not my problem....

Banned

Exclamation

i am a 15 year old and really dont have a job or a life. but i am thinking of going into programming or linux admin thing.

TechieChick
    Pretty much a ditto on what Apocalypse posted.
    I'm a small one woman rope and pony show that handles just about everything that comes my way. That which I can't handle alone I have companies that will subcontract to me.

I just moved the office downtown (small town btw) and business is growing rapidly, may have to buck up and hire a bench tech soon, who knows?

TC

Hey iNViCTuS, so you go from project to project and hook up companies security and such? That sounds pretty cool. What do you think was the best thing you were able to put on your resume for the job you have now? I need to start in on my certifications thats why I ask.

Hey TechieChick, Glad things are going well for you! Good luck with the business!

when i started here, they had exactly 2 computers...an original power mac and 386sx-16...

there's now over 30...started on win98 p2p...quickly saw what a mess that was...moved to win2k...sooo well...i'm one of those dreaded "nt admins by default"...difference i guess being that first thing i did...went and bought windows 2000 security handbook. by Jeff Schmidt (from que --i highly recommend it as an introduction)...MS win2k pro RezKit and MS win2k server Rezkit...and read it all...(something like 8500 pages...sheesh) then read a good deal of it again...then started to set up the network...has been...interesting...

and then of course i also get..."how do you change the toner in the photocopier"...and my fav...just this minute i got off the phone from one of our employees...seems their home xp box died...and somehow they think i should have the time to help them over the phone...note this is not a company box...it's some kids xmas gift...FGS...grrrr....and this after a dead hub this morning with the phone ringing...i can't get my email..how come i can't log on...i can't print...ringringringringring...

hmmm....i think i need a vacation.....or at least a drink....
    I used to be With IT. But then they changed what IT was. Now what I'm with isn't IT, and what's IT seems scary and weird." - Abe Simpson

Originally posted here by Sgt_B
    Hey iNViCTuS, so you go from project to project and hook up companies security and such? That sounds pretty cool. What do you think was the best thing you were able to put on your resume for the job you have now? I need to start in on my certifications thats why I ask.
    Well...when I got this job, Cisco was the big buzz word in the industry. My Cisco certs got me in the door easily. Now...if you can swing it, i would probably recommend Checkpoint, Cisco and eventually CISSP.

Also a bit of Unix admin experience doesn't hurt.

MIS Manager for newly organized HMO in FL. kind of funny as to the fact that they gave me that title especially since I am the only IT personel incharge of making sure everything is running....

As {P²P}Apocalypse said: Jack of all trades Master of none....