Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: web servers from home

Banned

web servers from home

i was wondering, what it would take to host your own website. since linux has Apache, could you use that as an internet server from your house? what you need to do to create your own webserver?

yes, you could use apache through linux. . .but it doesn't really seem(correct me if i'm wrong) that you are very familiar with linux. .

there are webserver programs for every OS, even windows.

you would probably be best off using analogX simpleserver or APACHE for windows. . .they aren't that difficult.

well, first you need to get yourself a domain name registered. You also need to have that domain name registered with at least two DNS servers (try your ISP). After that, a static IP helps, and, of course, the server software.

Re: web servers from home

Originally posted by 5150
    i was wondering, what it would take to host your own website. since linux has Apache, could you use that as an internet server from your house? what you need to do to create your own webserver?
    1. a permanent connection to the internet.
    2. web server software.
    3. something to show in the server (web pages).
    4. an public IP adress to bind the server to.
    5. a dns or dyndns service to bind the ip to a name.

6. Security systems and a tight setup may also be a good advice .

Originally posted by llipschutz
    you would probably be best off using analogX simpleserver or APACHE for windows. . .they aren't that difficult.
    If you plan to run a webserver under Windows I would give Apache a try a bit harder to setup but if you decide to move everything to Linux you already have done half of the work .

Originally posted by delstar
    well, first you need to get yourself a domain name registered. You also need to have that domain name registered with at least two DNS servers (try your ISP). After that, a static IP helps, and, of course, the server software.
    If you just want to have a webserver for learning and your own personal webpages then I would recomend you to use a dynamic dns instead of paying some money for a own domain name. There are a lots of free dynamic dns services available and you'll not have a hard time to find some one who suits your needs. But if you want your own domain name I would go with delstars advice.

~micael

How does a expensive T-1 or SDSL (8MBPS UPLOAD AND DOWNLOAD) PERMANENT CONNECTION SOUND? Also, base on what you're doing/hosting U might consider AMD's Althon MP (multi) processer or Intel Pentium 3 XEON processer. U will also need a hardware firewall like Brick Firewall to prevent hackers from hi-jacking your system. An advanced/true IDS (like BlackICE for Server or ISS' RealSecure) to detect those attacks missed by the firewall. A stable OS like Windows 2000 or Linux or BSD. A server software like Apache, Microsoft ISS, Analog X Simple WWW...etc A domain name.

I have a cable modem and run a ftp site and webserver. I did not register a domain name rather I use the IP address to reach the systems. This works but now and then the IP changes since I'm on DHCP. I do not sell anything nor advertise the site. I use the webserver to share information w/a limited number of indivduals (typically photos of trips) and the ftp site for files I downloaded at work but want at home. So, it can be done on the cheap at home (depending on the intended use).
    Cheers,
    -D
    If you spend more on coffee than on IT security, you will be hacked. What\'s more, you deserve to be hacked.
    -- former White House cybersecurity adviser Richard Clarke

Hello dspeidel.

If you use a DynDNS service and one of the clients they offer you dont have to be worried if your ISP changes your IP now and then, and ofcourse you also would have the oportunity to add a name to your site aswell .

One thing to note.... If your using adelpha as your ISP, they are now blocking port 80. Two ways to get around this. The first being set up your webserver on port 81 (yourdomain.com:81). I use 81 but you can use whatever. The 2nd is to set up an A record to point to port 81. I use DNS2go and they have an option to point the A record 'www' to whatever port you want. This way whenever you go to www.yourdomain.com it will bypass their filtering of port 80 and connect to your website

Good luck!

also, one more thing: if you think you might have a lot of users on your website, or have lots of images, make sure you get a good isp that gives you a good amount of upload bandwidth. i.e., I've seen cable componies that offer broadband at 1.5mbps download (max), but only 15kbps upload, so, in that case, you maximum upload speed would be 15k, which is slower than 56k, and it would take a really really long time to load a lot of images/data on the user's end.

-Mike
    Either get busy living or get busy dying.

-The Sawshank Redemption

http://www.dns2go.com will help you with DNS issues. If you need more help with personal webhosting, I can help you alot! Especially if ur using Apache. Pm me for more info. Take care! -- Jason (JC) Copeland