Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Will U let AMD HAMMER YOU?

Will U let AMD HAMMER YOU?

Hi! Not sure if anyone posted this, but guess wat? CHIPS WAR HAS RESTED FOR A WHILE, BUT WON'T BE SUPRISED IF IT RETURNS. AMD's next generation, Hammer, a true 64-bit (http://www.x86-64.org) processer has the power to run 32-bit program and as well as true 64-bit programs. I wonder, what will intel do to fight back?

By the way, in INTEL PENTIUM 4 processer a 64-bit processer? If not, what will they do to fight back? Introduce P-4 64-BIT? (nah....... the worst time after the recent 2.x Ghz core change)

So, programmers, will you start programming 64-bit programs now for the AMD HAMMER processer?

Intel already has a 64 bit chip that is in development called the itanium. Read about it at
    http://www.intel.com/itanium/
    Jealousy consumes the weak.
    http://www.badconnections.net

Itanium has been doomed to fail since the start...it IS 64 bit, but isn't backwards compatible.

believe it or not though, intel has another chip in the making..however, they deny its existence. I read an article, I'll try to find it, saying how they designed a 64 bit chip on the x86 architecture...same as hammer. They only plan to use though, if "worst comes to worst". Reason being, they've spent countless millions of dollars on Itanium, they wouldn't want to simply throuhg it away
    SlackWare my first, Debian my second....building my box into the ultimate weapon

Did anyone else get that first release of whistler that stated it would run on 64-bit architecture? Of course they dropped that claim on the first beta I got with my msdn stuff, I guess they decided not to go for it.
    -Shkuey
    Living life one line of error free code at a time.

YamHill

That's right, YamHill is their backup to Itanium

read about it here:
    Yamhill

the original story was on silliconvalley.com..........good article, though it has been removed from the archives (conveniently enough)
    SlackWare my first, Debian my second....building my box into the ultimate weapon

Theres an article on TheRegister from HP about Yamhill found here

J.

Hey did you hear about there might be 2 CORES on one hammer chip?
    I have read a few articles,
    wont that kick ass one chip with 2 2.7 GHZ cores?
    Woo Hoo
    Killer Gaming Rig!
    -=Legacy Boy=-

-= You mean there is stuff better then DOS? =-

AntiOnline Jr. Member
    Todd Heidesch writes: "'IBM announced it has created the world's fastest semiconductor circuit, operating at speeds of over 110 GigaHertz (GHz) and processing an electrical signal in 4.3 trillionths of a second.' IBM expects the new technology to be pumping out 100 gigabit/sec network switching chips by the end of the year (on an optimistic schedule, I presume)." dr_zeus contributes a link to this Reuters article running on Wired (also fairly thin) on the release, writing: "Granted, this isn't a PC chip, but one wonders how long it will be before we hear 'dude, you've got a 110GHz Dell!'"
    i red this article and thought you all would like it

chip wars have definitely not settled man. it seems everyone is trying to come up with something new. something that will blow each other out of the water and dazzle users with big numbers and clock speeds. however, all we are getting is chaos. with this many different architectures coming out at such a rapid pace all of a sudden, we lose standardization. how are programmers supposed to develope worth while software when they do not know what the platforms will be to build upon tomorrow?

more of them making chips means more choice for us. Go big blue...<pennant waves>
    Trappedagainbyperfectlogic.