Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: check out your security

Hmmm....this is a bit odd, yet interesting. At HackYourSelf When I chose to do a "Quick Scan" ...It sent me to a page to enter my own IP Address. Now,

[list=1][*]Shouldn't THEY know my IP address?[*]Either I'm EXTREMELY secure, or is this happeneing to everybody?[*]If it is hapening to everybody, couldn't some underage socially deprived kid scan his school's IP address knowing that the logs will show the site,...and not him. *evil grin dies down to confusion...*[*]Check this out[/list=1]

From HackYourSelf:

Security Scan of 201.153.*.* Unknown started at Sat Feb 23 19:04:08 2002

Browser Type: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.0; T312461)
    Um...they SHOULD be able to find my computer name, and all of the information about me is wrong...

[P.S. - Still showing that GRC sucks but their scans are quite adequite,...compared to this one they really kick ass. All the feedback I get back is a page saying "YOU ARE SECURE" Three times in red (plus this really nifty animated .gif of radar going along with it ). All in all...I'm pissed.]
    ...This Space For Rent.

-[WebCarnage]

I can't seem to go to that link webcarnage...Revealing someone's ip is not very difficult, (unless of course you are proxying or are spoofing your ip)
    either way you would think that any ->hack yourself<- tests would be able to know your ip...spoofed or not

Thanks for the link though, I'll try it a couple more times to see if it works................I want to see what it'll say about me,
    SlackWare my first, Debian my second....building my box into the ultimate weapon

haha, error in your link, it should be
    Hackyourself
    SlackWare my first, Debian my second....building my box into the ultimate weapon

bad link

oops, sorry about that last message

hackyourself

[b]I can't seem to go to that link webcarnage...Revealing someone's ip is not very difficult, (unless of course you are proxying or are spoofing your ip)
    either way you would think that any ->hack yourself<- tests would be able to know your ip...spoofed or not

Thanks for the link though, I'll try it a couple more times to see if it works................I want to see what it'll say about me,

Done. I accidentially put www.hackEyourself.com ...there should be no "e".

*sigh*...
    ...This Space For Rent.

-[WebCarnage]

[WebCarnage]

"Shouldn't THEY know my IP address?"

1. Of course they know your IP address.

"Either I'm EXTREMELY secure, or is this happeneing to everybody?"

2. No, you are not "extremly secure", every site you go to knows your IP address.

"If it is hapening to everybody, couldn't some underage socially deprived kid scan his school's IP address knowing that the logs will show the site,...and not him. *evil grin dies down to confusion...*"

3. No, they check the IP address you give with the one that is connecting to their site:
    Why do they do this? 1) For the reason you stated. 2) To check your connecting IP address with the IP address your web browser reports. This way it will not be scanning any proxy servers or NAT routers.

Browser Type: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.0; T312461); key word: "compatible"