Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Clossing off open ports.

Clossing off open ports.

Is there any way possible of closing off ports on your pc one by one, instead of having a firewall protecting them ?

Shouldnt is be better, preventing an attack rather than protecting against it.

I mean like telling your pc or OS to not allow example port 27337 to open even though a program wants to open it.

If you know what i mean ?

Then it is better to not use your pc.

There is a programm for closing ports. A Firewall is preventing and protecting you against attacks.

Was that necarssarily to give a answer like that i though we are here to help each other!!
    The Power Of Your Imagination:

if you know programming for example vb (yes, you can do this with vb...although you might not believe it )it's no problem to close this ports. but i think this is a very compilicated way.

the easiest way is to have a firewall, there are also free ones who work very well...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------"Knowledge is the real power"
    \"Knowledge is the Real Power\"

Maybe he means why does the OS even open a port when you don't want it? Maybe putting in a thing right into the OS saying only open this and that might be good, but what if you really need a program that opens it, or if it doesn't work right?

A firewall isn't that bad, especially after you've configured it right, and should be fine... Like Sire Matrix said, the firewall prevents and protects you from attacks. The fireall can do a good job, and with how some OS makers have problems with security, etc, it may not be a good idea to have them left up to the task... They make things that do things in a colorful way, not really keeping things that shouldn't happen from occuring... If you have a company that is dedicated to and truly focused with security, you get a better product.

Once again, I start talking on and on again..., with things that can be explained in a sentence or two by some...

-Tim_axe

Originally posted here by cdre
    Was that necarssarily to give a answer like that i though we are here to help each other!!
    Yes we are here to help each other, I just meant it is not a good soulotion to have a program to close ports, guess you have written a program to close your ports, after some days you installed yahoo messenger or msn or ICQ, or something like that which the program wants to connet to internet via a specific port which you have closed it, then the program will show you an error message, then you will come back here and will post a massage which my yahoo messenger can not connect, what should I do? Then........ yes you will get flamed.

Just A Question

Maby i should of worded the question better but come on, i was just asking a simple question the deserves a simple answer but i see some people must have carrots up their ass.

Thank You for all your posts .

First you have to see learn read about the ports that are required
    for your computer to operate.connect to the network's etc.
    Do you have a windows machine?

To close a port that is open you will need to terminate the service that is using that port. (i.e. if you notice that port 80 is showing as connected 8 times when you do a netstat, then start closing your browser windows and watch the number of connections decrease)
    Faqt

If you want to make God laugh....make plans.