Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: NSA access was built into Windows ?

Just my Washington two cents...

I don't buy the NSA having a secret access technique to Windows for the following reason:

1. If they did, and it got out, MicroSuck would loose all of its overseas market, something even they are not stupid enough to do...

2. The NSA has enough power to break into computers with out a back door, so why risk the exposure...

3. If the NSA did it we would never know....

So those are my non-technical reasons why I don't buy it!
    - Jimmy Mac

Replicants are like any technology, if there not a hazard, its not my problem....

Here's another article about the same issue: http://www.idg.net/go.cgi?id=194704 It doesnt really say anything more than the one already posted but it does quote a microsoft rep.

Does cryptonym have another website??? http://www.cryptonym.com/

bytheway, if you guys wanna check out the file yourself, windows98 has it but its called Advapi21.dll

I dont know about windows XP coz i dont have it.

Hmm yet this is a very interesting topic..

Win Me hasa file called ADVAPI32.DLL Would it be ok to just delete this thing? If so, how? Whne I try to I get "file being used".

Microsoft can do whatever it wants to and people will still buy thier software,that's a fact.
    Even with all the floors found in M$ software people still buy it,I think they are either 1:brainwashed or
    Two:STUPID, you take your pick.

If people woke up tommorow to find out that bill gates was really an alien from the planet "quatlue" people
    will still buy microsofts crappy software.

The only way to make microsoft change its practices is to hit them where they care most,in thier collective
    wallets.The public needs to send a message to Microsoft that we will no longer buy thier software until
    they start makeing the public and security first.

The public shouldn't suffer because Microsoft cares more about $$$$$ then it does about makeing
    somewhat "secure" software.I know that its almost impossible to make %100 secure software but it can be
    alot better then what microsoft is giving its paying public today.
    This will only work if people actually stop buying thier software.
    You can complain all you want unless people start putting up or shutting up microsoft will continue to
    **** us all without vaseline.Everytime that you spend your hard earned money on M$ software you just
    let bill gates **** you again.
    As long as people keep buying M$ software they loose thier right to complain because if after all you know
    about microsoft you still make a conscience choice to buy thier sofware then all I can say is "you must like it without vaseline".
    If you really want to send m$ a message change to useing a linux server it cant get any worst than what
    bill has been giving you.

Crimina1

I believe that such a thing actually exists. Now, as to the merits of which version is true is the contravercy. If it does I think that the NSA's actions where completely legal...for user abroad. They might have pressured microsoft into doing it since they set the federal regulations. Microsoft owns it users because it pumps out newer versions of it's programs. So, why would they open themselves up to a future catastrophe? I'm not glorifiying them...I'm just saying they're not stupid. (They have a near monoploy.) So, I don't think this key was the creation of microsoft to drag some more souls to hell. I'll go with the government conspiracy to further expand their control. If the key is real, this came about when a certain Democrat held presidential office.
    Fight the Power!

Crimina1, Why go completely offtopic like this in an otherwise informative discussion?

I agree with Jim on this one... the NSA doesn't need microsofts help... beyond that... there is no way they would risk there overseas market. people are stupid, but not that stupid.
    Learn like you are going to live forever, live like you are going to die tomorrow.

Propoganda

Originally posted here by Methcook
    Crimina1, Why go completely offtopic like this in an otherwise informative discussion?
    I think it's very much "on topic" We are taking about microsoft,offtopic would have been if I were talking about
    cuba and fidel castro.now thats "offtopic".

Crimina1

The only way to make microsoft change its practices is to hit them where they care most,in thier collective
    wallets.

That isn't going to ever happen:

1) M$ is a Marketing and Desktop Powerhouse
    no one has the muscle to compete with head to head

2) Joe SixPack Windows User likes simplicity
    to a ridiculous extent won't touch Unix or Linux he
    basically wants to turn on the computer and not do
    any configuring or software updates don't depend
    on him to make a difference by switching brands.

As for a backdoor M$ wouldn't do it would be
    corporate suicide they already put a big denial
    on there security webpage long ago no NSA backdoors
    were in there stuff there lawyers already have there
    plate full and don't need anymore suits or litigation.

Chawley