Thread: hacker: definition

hacker: definition

i see alot lot: a hacker is this...no thats a cracker..oh no, no, no. a hacker is...

so here's the definition:

hacker /n./ [originally, someone who makes furniture with an axe]

A person who enjoys exploring the details of programmable systems and how to stretch their capabilities, as opposed to most users, who prefer to learn only the minimum necessary.

One who programs enthusiastically (even obsessively) or who enjoys programming rather than just theorizing about programming.

A person capable of appreciating hack value (the value of a seemingly worthless, but artistic/technical goal).

A person who is good at programming quickly.

An expert at a particular program, or one who frequently does work using it or on it; as in `a Unix hacker'. (Definitions 1 through 5 are correlated, and people who fit them congregate.)
    An expert or enthusiast of any kind. One might be an astronomy hacker, for example.

One who enjoys the intellectual challenge of creatively overcoming or circumventing limitations.

[deprecated] A malicious meddler who tries to discover sensitive information by poking around. Hence `password hacker', `network hacker'. The correct term for this sense is cracker.

The term `hacker' also tends to connote membership in the global community defined by the net. It also implies that the person described is seen to subscribe to some version of the hacker ethic (which states that information should be freely shared).
    It is better to be described as a hacker by others than to describe oneself that way. Hackers consider themselves something of an elite (a meritocracy), though one to which new members are gladly welcome. There is thus a certain ego satisfaction to be had in having others identify you as a hacker.
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

Thumbs up

wow im a hacker then ;x haha

_NetSyN_
    [shadow]i have a herd of 1337 sheep[/shadow]
    Worth should be judged on quality... Not apperance... Anyone can sell you **** inside a pretty box.. The only real gift then is the box..

Hmmm, Isn't that from the Jargon File?
    OpenBSD - The proactively secure operating system.

I recognize that from dictionary.com
    And I believe I am right. Am I? Dictionary.com Search for Hacker
    And also I would like to post a link to a thread I just started yesterday on this same topic. My thread
    \"To follow the path:
    look to the master,
    follow the master,
    walk with the master,
    see through the master,
    become the master.\"
    -Unknown

I found this on blackice. where they got it from....????
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”