Thread: Morpheus source code

Morpheus source code

Morpheus violating GPL

From a post at slashdot.org
    ------------------------
    "The new Morpheus Preview Edition client [download.com] is actually just a fork of Gnucleus an open source GPLd Gnutella client. Upon installation Morpheus PE displays the GPL and asks the user to accept. It is currently being distributed without source in violation of article 3 of the GPL. Gnucleus developers are not too happy about this. This Morpheus client is being downloaded by thousands of frustrated Morpheus users who have been cutoff the FastTrack/Kazaa network and are now migrating to Gnutella. The violation of the GPL is blatant and will also be the first glimpse of the GPL for many of these new users. It seems like the executives at MusicCity have decided that they prefer free 'as in beer' not 'as in speech.'"
    --------------------------
    Morpheus has given in to pressure and released the source code.

Available here:

http://www.musiccity.com/source/mpesrc1.zip

I guess now we’ll see a couple of spyware free clones on the net and maybe some very dangerous exploits.
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

A Step forwards for Open Source......

Nice post.....

- Noia
    With all the subtlety of an artillery barrage / Follow blindly, for the true path is sketchy at best. .:Bring OS X to x86!:.
    Og ingen kan minnast dei linne drag i dronningas andlet den fagre dag Då landet her kvilte i heilag fred og alle hadde kjærleik å elske med.

Morpheus has not given in to pressure and released the source code, it was always availiable.

The slashdot editors just did their usual job in checking the story before posting.

does anyone know how the server for morpheus is set up?
    Learn like you are going to live forever, live like you are going to die tomorrow.

Propoganda

well, one would assume that with the client source it would be possible to write your own server based on the protocoll shown in the client...
    -8-

There are 10 types of people in this world: those who understand binary, and those who dont.

i answered my on ?... nevermind
    Learn like you are going to live forever, live like you are going to die tomorrow.

Propoganda