Thread: msoft security toolkit

Post msoft security toolkit

Ok so have put it on nt. Seems fine and just finished the 2k server. Got many more to go but here is what I found. After running it I put on the CIS tools that another member posted link to and it found dozens of hfx and patches still outstanding. This then required repeated visits and downloads, reboots, more download reboots.

You got the picture. One w2k host reqd more than ten patches and reboots. What a waste of my time. I have to do it sure, but having to do it, it is kind of like having lunch on the beach. You like the sun and fun but the sand in the food grits your teeth.

CIS reported things mucho better with just some policy work after all that.
    Trappedagainbyperfectlogic.

Cool. Don't you have a helpdesk to do the patching stuff?
    Mankind have a great aversion to intellectual labor; but even supposing knowledge to be easily attainable, more people would be content to be ignorant than would take even a little trouble to acquire it.
    - Samuel Johnson

Yeah but I got them all busy on projects for me, so, I like this shizt anyway.

btw - read my pm and you'll see what else my guys are working on. ;-)

Hey Gold Eagle, whats the CIS tools you were talking about, and where could I get them? I just ordered the ms toolkit thing too, so I gotta wait 3-6 weeks! Hey at least they're sending it for free.

i got mine in a week
    --------------------------
    http://www.arg-irc.com

Computer Forensics
    gold: why not write up a hfnetchk script to install the patches for you ?, put it in a login script and voila. its automated.

on a win2k wkst, after installing SP2 you should have 9 patches(hotfixes) to install

I patched mine before M$ re-released hfnetchk to allow multiple hotfixes to be installed at one time, so I wrote up a mass install batch file. that was rough becuase it caused a few STOP errors on some NT computers. The 2ks never had a problem with the mass install.
    Antionline in a nutshell
    \"You\'re putting the fate of the world in the hands of a bunch of idiots I wouldn\'t trust with a potato gun\"

Trust your Technolust

hogfly I wouldn't mind seeing that batch install if you feel like posting or pming it.
    The w2k server had 14 patches(hotfixes) after sp2 in my case. Sure seemed like a lot.
    Sgt_B - the CIM tools were posted by KorpDeath in (which thread?) um, one of these security threads. If you don't find it I'll post either the link or the files.