Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Total noob here

Smile Total noob here

Hey all,
    im totally new to the security scene and i was wondering if anyone could tell me how to get started off on my journey of knowledge. All help is very appreciated.

that's a pretty broad question...what interests you?
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

You'll soon learn that www.google.com is your best friend.

well, id like to learn how to generaly keep my pc secure, find out how things work and try and find out about whatever i can...as long as its interesting to me i'd enjoy finding out about it.... i'd also like to learn a programming language of some kind.
    Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you\'re a mile away and you have their shoes.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------

Well you could start by messing around with maybe zonealarm or blackice if running windows. Or if you really want security think about looking into linux or BSD. That way youll be able to create your own custom firewalls. Oreilly has some good books on security.

well im currently running on xp, i think thats spose to have a build in firewall , but i do have zonealarm set up as well as norton, i was thinking of partitioning my harddrive and adding a version of linux but i dont really know enough about it.
    Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you\'re a mile away and you have their shoes.

i would recomend red hat linux and there is some pretty good red hat books out there if you wanted to spend money
    Violence breeds violence
    we need a world court
    not a republican with his hands covered in oil and military hardware lecturing us on world security!

i think i'd prefer to learn more about windows before plunging into linux

For a newbie Redhat is the way to go. Microsofts quote on quote firewall sux big time. all it really is is disable vb scripting and some other worthless crap. I would check out www.linuxdoc.org for all your linux problems. i would recomend an older book called "A Practical Guide To The Unix System" This is a really good book. Its by Mark G. Sobell

Well for windows Oreilly makes some good books.