Thread: Microsoft .NET... What is it really?

Microsoft .NET... What is it really?

...I sure don't know.

How it isn't that great, it's already been done.
    http://www.javalobby.org/clr.html]Not all it's cracked up to be either.[/url]

Just my own summary idea:

An IDE/Compiler/Library system/bundle which will work on all platforms, with all languages, and will run anywhere. In other words, monopoly again.
    [HvC]Terr: L33T Technical Proficiency

I got a headache reading about M$. Is that possible?
    Mankind have a great aversion to intellectual labor; but even supposing knowledge to be easily attainable, more people would be content to be ignorant than would take even a little trouble to acquire it.
    - Samuel Johnson

Hi mom!
    Korp, yeah, very well. I even heard of someone's head exploding while reading about MS - consider yourself lucky.
    I wish to express my gratitude to the people of Italy. Thank you for inventing pizza.

hmm... I'd kinda like for my head to blow up or something if I ever actually started paying attention to M$ poop...
    I know you\'re out there. I can feel you now. I know that you\'re afraid. You\'re afraid of us. You\'re afraid of change. I don\'t know the future. I didn\'t come here to tell you how this is going to end. I came here to tell you how it\'s going to begin. I\'m going to hang up this phone, and then I\'m going to show these people what you don\'t want them to see. I\'m going to show them a world without you, a world without rules and controls, without borders or boundaries. A world where anything is possible. Where we go from there is a choice I leave to you.

This is my first post here at antionline. I'll use it to portray my feelings for M$.

Heres a special tool I need to keep by my new Win XP box.

As well as what I wish would have happend a while ago.

Microsoft sucks. How hard is it to use linux? I'm definatly a newbie...

Excuse my weak language.
    But if I got it all right.
    Then,
    I’ve listed a similar thread about win vs. Linux & Intel vs. RISK
    And since Intel decided to move to the RISC side , so they need an OS to run.
    And this will open the way for M$ to be there too since most of the UNIX vendors dropped the development of their OS to meet the new 64-bit Intel technology.
    And as I mentioned before, there will be only 3 OS for that platform ( IA-64 ) which is ( HP UX, Linux & Win.Net 64)
    And the main problem will be, the existing applications , not only programming and so ..
    For example: If u have an AIX with it’s applications and then u moved to the new Intel Processor with a new OS , lets say Linux for example, what will happen for the used applications. !!
    When the power of Love overcomes the Love of power, the world will know peace... Jimi Hendrix
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    I dream of giving birth to a child who will ask...... what was war?

They will have to play catch up. There aren't many apps programmers out there doing 64-bit stuff. At least not that I've seen.
    Mankind have a great aversion to intellectual labor; but even supposing knowledge to be easily attainable, more people would be content to be ignorant than would take even a little trouble to acquire it.
    - Samuel Johnson

With the risk of beeing flamed back to the stone age or possibly even farther:

I've been teaching and programming Microsoft.NET for the last two years. (since the PDC-beta in july 2000) and I can honestly say that it is a great initiative.
    As for what Terr said about monopoly it's pretty much the other way around as both C# and the Common Language Infrastructure has been submitted to ECMA to become standards.
    Mono, for example, is an ongoing project on porting .NET to linux. The have come quite far. http://www.go-mono.com

Microsoft is together with corel is workin on a version for freeBSD as well. But I doubt it will be free.

There is a great IDE which is free of charge and licensed under GPL. It can be dowloaded here: http://www.cshrp.net/SharpDevelop for example.

What www.javalobby.com/clr.html states is simply not true however you put it. I'm sorry guys I'm a linux fan myself but credit is given where credit is due and .NET is way cooler than J2EE which by the way was released *after* .NET if I'm not misstaken.

Some facts to explain what I'm talking about:

1) "C# documents, for example, mention only C and C++ even though C# is a Java copycat with superficial changes."
    False. C#, like Java has inherited it's syntax from C and C++ but is in reality a garbage collected, object oriented language for the .NET-framework. The similarities ends with the syntax.

2) "Briefly, the CLR is .NET’s competitor for the JVM."
    False. CLR is a runtime, not a virtual machine. There is no virtual machine in .NET as one isn't needed. THe comparison is popular as it seems Sun came up with an idea several years ago and now Microsoft caught on. Nothing could be farther from truth.

3) "a virtual machine that runs portable bytecode known as MSIL (Microsoft Intermediary Language)."
    This just pisses me off and it is embarrasing that Osvaldo Pinali Doederlein writes an article now, about technology that has been around for two years, without getting his facts straight.
    There is no virtual machine. And CIL (it is not called MSIL) is .NET Asm. It is quite readable and fun to program in and can by no means be called bytecode. The number one reason for this is that it is *compiled* Common Intermediate Language is never, ever interpreted but always compiled.

I suggest that anyone that is even remotly interested in .NET looks at it from a neutral standpoint. Ie not Microsofts or Javas. When so is done, it will become quite obvious that the technology is good and the liune of thought excellent.

For those just wanting to bitch on microsoft, I suggest that you join the mono project and become part of this large effort.

Don't bitch on Microsoft just cause they are Microsoft. They do make cool stuff every once in a while.

Just my two cents though. I just felt I had to defend my main area of knowledge.

Thanks,
    Mankan

\"The purpose of abstraction is not to be vague, but to create a new semantic level in which one can be absolutely precise.\"
    - Edsger Dijkstra

"With the risk of beeing flamed back "
    man .. who gave u such an idea ..... u got a + point from me ... just to show you our good affection ,

as for corp , i think they already have a lots of Applications for the 64-bit . based on 3 OS
    Linux, Win, HP UX.
    When the power of Love overcomes the Love of power, the world will know peace... Jimi Hendrix
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    I dream of giving birth to a child who will ask...... what was war?