Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Organization

Organization

Just curios little opinion,
    I am going through my box and trying to organize all of the texts I have in document folders. Right now they are all just saved together in one big folder, currently there are 2,723 documents, web pages, pdf, etc. I was just curious how do some of you organize all of the filez on your box. Do you use some kind of a database program or do you just make a really big file system and organize them out that way. Just wondering how everyone else does it to get some insight on the best organization.
    \"To follow the path:
    look to the master,
    follow the master,
    walk with the master,
    see through the master,
    become the master.\"
    -Unknown

If your on Windows
    • Right-Click -> Arange Icons by Type
    • Sift through and delete the ones you don't need
    • Catogorize

I'll tell you my set up:
    • _Projects
    • Accessories
    • Applications
    • Audio
    • Education
    • Hacking
    • IP Tools
    • Languages
    • Linux (Various Saved Distros)
    • Pranks
    • Visual

Just for some insight
    ...This Space For Rent.

-[WebCarnage]

it's probably not the best system but i have a folder system (eg in "my documents" folder I have 9 sub folder etc)

Banned
    Just do a search int he folder for *.pdf, *.html, *.txt, etc.. Then just put them in folders like PDF-HTML-TEXT, thats my 0.02

I tend to stick everything in folders and then make a html page that indexes to all my stuff. Everything is then viewed through the browser as if I was on the web. This sets things out really nicely and helps when you have gigs of stuff to keep track of.
    OpenBSD - The proactively secure operating system.

Thanks everyone for the help,
    I am beginning to sift through all of them now. It'll take a while, but I would rather not delete them, never know if I will quote them or need to reread. But I am following the example of grouping through folders. {Hopefully not too many} But thanks everyone for help, and hope you appreciate the green.
    \"To follow the path:
    look to the master,
    follow the master,
    walk with the master,
    see through the master,
    become the master.\"
    -Unknown

i used to categorize by extension...but that got a bit unweildy...so now my first level under my docs is

categories - graphics, audio, html, projects etc..

then i sub cat them with extensions...tif cdr swf cfm gif...

that way i can have relevant items in places that make sense
    I used to be With IT. But then they changed what IT was. Now what I'm with isn't IT, and what's IT seems scary and weird." - Abe Simpson

if your using 2k or up you could index the folder using indexing service and do a search for what your looking for. your results come out just like any other search engine. probability ratings and all.
    personally i use catagories with subcatagories and topics

like ebooks\computer\webdesign\ or ebooks\computer\security all in my documents
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

Nice ideas all. Thanks.
    \"To follow the path:
    look to the master,
    follow the master,
    walk with the master,
    see through the master,
    become the master.\"
    -Unknown

hmm i do use and create folders and subfolders depending on what they are and how important they are that i have to make a folder for them.. like my MP3.. i have a folder called MP3.. and in that folder u will see 3 sub folders.. one is called "Incomplete" and another is called "Music" the other is called "Anime" i use the incomplete folder for the sharing in AudioGalaxy.. and i empty it everytime a song is finished d/l. that way no one can upload on my box and waste my precious bandwith.. and i do use "Arrange Icons by Type" always.. so i can easily figure out which is which and where they are..