Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newbie help

Newbie help

Hi, can anyone help me. you see i got my own user area on my home computer and my brothers can easily delete files in my user area by just going to c:\windows\profiles\username
    and I was wondering is it possible to restrict access to the profiles folder on a windows 98 operating system, and if so how. Do you use some sort of a program. Please Help Thanks!

ewwwwww, win 98....yukk, pyuk!
    SlackWare my first, Debian my second....building my box into the ultimate weapon

the way I see it, the default in win98 doesn't really do anything restriction wise.

you can use a program called Poledit (Tools\Reskit\Netadmin\Poledit folder on the Win98 CD), and this can probobly 'hide' the files.

also, if you look around on the net or at download.com, you can probobly find good encryption programs to lock up your files
    SlackWare my first, Debian my second....building my box into the ultimate weapon

Mankind have a great aversion to intellectual labor; but even supposing knowledge to be easily attainable, more people would be content to be ignorant than would take even a little trouble to acquire it.
    - Samuel Johnson

look for a program called Fortress, ive used it in the past for that same reason
    --------------------------
    http://www.arg-irc.com

yes but Fortress isn't what he's looking for...and is also extremely easy to get by, it's way too weak to put for security

If you are looking for more security you might want to look into getting Windows NT or Windows 2000 or XP. As far as 98 I am pretty sure that there is no way to restrict access.
    [gloworange]\"A hacker is someone who has a passion for technology, someone who is possessed by a desire to figure out how things work.\" [/gloworange]

There are folder locking programs. I've posted two links. You want more? go look on google. search for win98 folder lock or if you're like me use the advanced feature to weed out obvious misses.......
    Mankind have a great aversion to intellectual labor; but even supposing knowledge to be easily attainable, more people would be content to be ignorant than would take even a little trouble to acquire it.
    - Samuel Johnson

yeap

most of the secrity app like fortress are easy to get by and like said u should just get xp or 2k. or make ur own app, but I also heard of a way through dos to hide the files becouse of a bug if any one want to know about it let me know

what kind of bug are you talking about?
    D. J.