Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: AntiOnline's Banner and sterotype

AntiOnline's Banner and sterotype

Okay when im in class i like to check out this site and see replys to post i made and see where i can help and to check out my PMs and ect..

but ive noticed the word "hacker" being in the sites banner makes everyone think the site is underground hacker site (13370) Notice how many kids come in here asking questions about hacking and being flamed for it and not understanding why because they think the site is a teaching grounds for hackers.

In class my teacher told me that i was not allowed on this site because it had the word HACKERS in big letters on the banner and thought i was reading "bad material". I tryed to explain to him the site is about security and he replyed "there is no such thing" and walked away. So i am not allowed on the site while hes looking at least and that bothers me the sterotype that the site has recived.

I think if we want this site to be based on secuirty we need to have a more positive looking banner for one and get rid of the typical wording for hackers as often as possible. To often do i see kids using packet programs or cheats in games and be called hackers.. it jus bothers me.

So my site suggestion is to change the words under ANTIONLINE to read sumthing on the lines of a catchy security phrase...

Any suggestions from the members?

_NetSyN_
    [shadow]i have a herd of 1337 sheep[/shadow]
    Worth should be judged on quality... Not apperance... Anyone can sell you **** inside a pretty box.. The only real gift then is the box..

AntiOnline Senior Member souleman's Avatar
    Considering "Hackers Know The Weaknesses In Your System. Shouldn't You?" has been the bi-line for this site just about since it was started (maybe even at the start) I really don't think it should be changed. That would be like changing the name of Coke-Cola, just because it has the word coke in it. Sorry NetSy, but in this case, I disagree with you.

It doesn't matter what we put there, there will still be kiddies. It could say "Antionline, Kiddies go screw yourself" and they would still show up. BTW, in a sence, you teacher is right. There really is no such thing as computer security. There will always be vulnerabilities in systems. You can only keep a machine as secure as the most recent patch.

As far as your teacher, and him/her to talk with you after class. See if you can show your teacher around the site, and ask if you can have permission to view it, once they have seen it. Most techers will not even let you on the web during class time, so obviously your teacher is rather open minded. If they are willing, get them to look around the site. As long as you show them that this isn't a kiddie site, and that kiddies get flamed, you may just get permission.
    \"Ignorance is bliss....
    but only for your enemy\"
    -- souleman

Banned
    Well firstly hits wise hackers is a gem, type hackers in google AO pops up first. To a webmaster this is nice. Type in crackers you get all kinds off warez crap.

This has been debated before and Jp I presume is unlikely to change the sig he has used for a long time.

Sorry to say but this is one thing we will prob not see changed.

the main thing i noticed is kids in the class and even the teacher as soon as they saw the word hacker they made such a huge deal.. the teacher told me not to go here and the kids say crap like "oh your a hacker"

changeing the banner might not do alot but it might change people's idea of the site for the first time they come to it... security is a nicer word to see then hacker..

_NetSyN_
    [shadow]i have a herd of 1337 sheep[/shadow]
    Worth should be judged on quality... Not apperance... Anyone can sell you **** inside a pretty box.. The only real gift then is the box..

No offence but I dont think AO needs to change the logo just cause you can't view the site at school any more. If your simple minded teacher dosen't understand that this is an ANTI hacking site, then talk slowly and explane it.

Remote_Access_

The banner is fine. Show your teacher some of the threads.
    Trappedagainbyperfectlogic.

I just don't think it would be the same - kinda used to the main page just the way it is

v_Ln

jsut use them both somehow
    --------------------------
    http://www.arg-irc.com

Yeah, my school recently blocked *.antionline.com too, bummer. I think it's the seemingly-antiquated-and-disorganized Anticode/Files section which is the kiddie-attractor and deadwood section, IMO.

It would be interesting (albeit a big pain in the ass to set up) if members could make a nodal system of text files, useful admin programs, etc. I mean, we have the tutorials forum, anyway.
    [HvC]Terr: L33T Technical Proficiency

I don't think it should change. But if it did it should be changed to a big picture of a day-glo orange jockstrap that has printed on it. "We help protect your equipment."

P.S. Sorry, I've been wanting to use that one for a while.......
    Mankind have a great aversion to intellectual labor; but even supposing knowledge to be easily attainable, more people would be content to be ignorant than would take even a little trouble to acquire it.
    - Samuel Johnson